What are you watching on DVD these days? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

What are you watching on DVD these days?

I have to get a movie this weekend. Shrek 2 for my son and something for myself.

What's everyone been watching these days? What did you like or not like and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 02:43 PM
RRH

WE enjoyed- The day after tomorrow- weak story line, special effects are good 3 Stars
Van Helsing - Wife and I both enjoyed this one . Loved the James bond parody,LMAO, CG work is excellent, the disk special Features were OK as well. 4 stars.
post #3 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 02:44 PM
Digital Sage

Van Helsing, Kill Bill2, Mean Girls, The Day After Tomorrow are all good are fairly recent on DVD. Picked up Shrek 2 today.

Any particular genre ?

post #4 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

I know it sounds silly but I want to watch a short movie! Whatever happened to 100 to 110 minute films.

I actually haven't seen Kill Bill #1 but I want to watch #2. I recorded the first one in HD last week so I might watch that (1hr & 50 mins) so I can watch #2
post #5 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 03:34 PM
Veteran

For sure this weekend, and maybe tonight, Hellboy: Directors Cut (just bought), Shrek 2 (about to go out and buy), and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (MC Tonight). Had just seen Super Size Me, The Girl Next Door, and Gladiator. If I have time, and theres nothing on TV I'll put in Sea 1-4 Simpsons, Family Guy or Futurama.
post #6 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Here's one we watched and enjoyed recently, and it fits the length you're looking for @ 109 min's. 'Fire in the Sky' -- a new dvd release of a 1993 movie. Reportedly based on a "real life story and event" (an alien abduction), it's a good combination of drama and sci-fi. http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...theskydvd.html
post #7 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 06:03 PM

I picked up the Special Edition Tombstone. Gotta love the westerns!
post #8 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 07:25 PM
Veteran

Cool

I've had a good run of little movies lately, including Heartlands, and I'm Not Scared.

The former is a heartwarming British film about a schlub who's quite content running his newstand and going to the pub with his wife to play darts, until he finds out she's having an affair. He then embarks on a journey, on his Honda scooter, to win her back. Gentle humor, a little sad, wonderful characters and some great little moments.

The latter is an Italian movie that starts off like it might be a thriller, but it's really about dark secrets and the loss of childhood innocence. Beautifully filmed in the rolling hills of Sicily.

Another one worth checking out is The Return, a dark Russian film about a father/son roadtrip gone horribly wrong.

Last edited by Nels Stewart; 2004-11-06 at 08:23 PM.
post #9 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-05, 07:55 PM

I picked up "Arrested Development" season 1 the other night and will probably be watching the rest of it tonight.
post #10 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-06, 01:34 PM
Veteran

I've watched Matilda about 5 times with my kids when they were younger.

It is a great flick for all ages.

A Devito masterpiece.

simplicity is genius...
post #11 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-06, 01:54 PM
Veteran

Watched Hellboy last night. Thought it was a great, inventive movie. Comic books may be hard to do, and I think this one was pulled off quite successfully. It doesn't go too comic book on you, so it's a good action movie, with a good story.
Also watched Shrek 2. Very funny movie. I'd say it was as good as the first, not better. I know it's a different story, but I still love the original. This was a good DVD too, but not alot of the sound was used in the surrounds or the LFE. But thats just one dudes opinion.
Caught some of Texas Chainsaw...thought it was boring...I'm not into the horror movies. Like The Ring, I was unimpressed and bored through most of the movie.
post #12 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-06, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
I picked up "Arrested Development" season 1 the other night and will probably be watching the rest of it tonight.
Arrested Development is the funniest show I have seen in years! I can't wait for the second season to start up here on Sunday.
post #13 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-06, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
Heartlands
Gonna look that one up.
post #14 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-06, 07:05 PM
Tup

Just a note for those intending to buy Shek 2, Walmart has a unique package of Shrek2 plus a CD with all the songs from the Idol parady. A nice extra at no charge that my son really liked (already made a copy for the car).

Another movie I watched around Halloween was Dawn of the Dead. It was pretty good for a remake of an old B film. Better than the original. Good character development.
post #15 of 2261 (permalink) Old 2004-11-06, 07:43 PM
Digital Sage

HMV in downtown Toronto were giving out lamanted Shrek 2 posters (full size) with purchase of DVD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.