Zip.ca Free Trial Offer ... just like that 'other' service, except different :) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Zip.ca Free Trial Offer ... just like that 'other' service, except different :)

This maybe an ongoing promotion but this morning I heard a radio ad plugging this free offer. It will be interesting to see what effect Netflix.ca will have on zip.ca's business.

http://www.zip.ca/DVD/SignUp/FreeTrialInfo.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 01:51 PM
Veteran

Zip.ca and the other mail order DVD rental businesses have offered free trials for some time. I doubt Netflix will have a big impact on Zip. Netflix is not offering DVD rentals in Canada and their selection is nowhere close to that offered by Zip and similar rental services.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 02:31 PM

Neither does netflix have the classic videos that videomatica.ca has.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Netflix is not offering DVD rentals in Canada
I guess you missed the last part of the subject line.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 04:58 PM

I'd never heard of Videomatic so I check out their site and looked at their rates.
They're doing it wrong
[quote] "1 DVD Out At A Time" package costs just $9.98 per month. Our "2 DVD Out At A Time" monthly packages start at $24.95{/quote]
Shouldn't it get cheaper per dvd when I goto a bigger subscription? I would have pegged the 2 DVD at a time package at $18 a month. Give me an incentive to spend more money.
As for Zip, if they start streaming I'd happily support them over netflix.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 05:08 PM
Veteran

I've been on ZIP for over a month now, but being in Alberta and having those discs shipped from Toronto/Ottawa isn't good. Sometimes takes a whole week to get them.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 06:02 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I've been on ZIP for over a month now, but being in Alberta and having those discs shipped from Toronto/Ottawa isn't good. Sometimes takes a whole week to get them.
Join Canflix
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Quote:
having those discs shipped from Toronto/Ottawa isn't good
One was just shipped to me today from Vancouver and I live in Mississauga. You can thank Canada Post for the delays, even when going all the way from Toronto to Mississauga. I've seen even that take a week. I've also seen two discs that were mailed at the exact same time take a difference of as much as 2 days to arrive.

For those of you out west, who don't know the geography, Mississauga and Toronto are right next to each other. Also, given that Toronto to Vancouver is only a four hour flight, there's no excuse for CP to take so long to deliver something across the country. Even shipping by train or truck would be faster.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 10:30 PM
Veteran

I know where Mississauga is. I moved to Alberta from Brampton last June.

What I find really ironic is that even though the discs are shipped from Toronto, the return envelope lists a Calgary address. I'd assume they have a Calgary warehouse, but they just don't ship from there.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-25, 01:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I'd never heard of Videomatic so I check out their site and looked at their rates. They're doing it wrong
There are other considerations, such as monthly limits on the total number of rentals. Videomatic does not fully describe the plan terms or list them all the main web site. You must actually sign up to see them. For that reason alone, I decided not to use their service.

Quote:
What I find really ironic is that even though the discs are shipped from Toronto, the return envelope lists a Calgary address. I'd assume they have a Calgary warehouse, but they just don't ship from there.
Netflix ships from a number of locations across Canada. I assume that they have several locations in major cities to reduce return times. They seem to ship titles from the closest location if possible but more distant locations if a disc is not available nearby.

Quote:
I've been on ZIP for over a month now, but being in Alberta and having those discs shipped from Toronto/Ottawa isn't good.
There is a video rental service in Winnipeg (Cinemail . ca.) The service was good but mail from Winnipeg to Ontario is slow. They have a smaller selection than Zip as well. Canflix is in Calgary so you might have better luck with them. I also ran across a couple of services in Vancouver.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-25, 07:28 AM
Veteran

Quote:
but they just don't ship from there.

I've seen discs from Toronto, Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver, so they do ship from Calgary. My return envelopes are all marked Toronto. My guess is they do that so the discs wind up, in proportion, closest to where the customers are, in order to reduce shipping delays. Where they ship from, depends on where an available disc is.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 02:07 PM
Veteran

Mine usually come from Ottawa but always have a Calgary return address. Probably so they can confirm my return quicker. Then they probably bulk mail them back down east.

And it usually takes 6 to 8 business days to receive them. They always arrive about 3 or sometimes 4 days after the estimated delivery date. I blame that on Canada Post however. Shamefully rediculous to think that something can't be sent from one major city in Canada to another in less than a week (i.e. Ottawa -> Calgary).
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 04:20 PM
Veteran

^^^^
Sometimes, I was able to achieve 2 day round trip, that is from Zip to me and received back by them in two days. However, it usually takes longer. I've seen a week between Toronto and Mississauga, on a few occasions. There's even one I returned over a year ago, and they still haven't received it! Yep, Canada Post.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Ive been with zip for some time now, and they really are great. Not paying extra for blu-ray is quite awesome.

Some blu-ray new releases come to me right after they come out.

I get about 12-14 movies per month on the 3DVD Unlimited so it works out to about $2/movie, which is quite a good deal, and no gas wasted or hassles dealing with a video store.

They also have "ziprefill" which means they will send you a movie after you have told them you have put one of yours in the mail. You can do this for up to 2 movies at a time.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 03:05 PM

How do they deal with missing arrivals or returns? How many times can you get screwed by lost post before they penalize you?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.