Resident Evil 3D - worth watching - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-11, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Talking Resident Evil 3D - worth watching

NO, it's not a brainiac movie. Park your brain at the doors and enjoy the ride.

First of all, the sound: amazing and active surround throughout the movie

Second, and most importantly the 3D presentation:
3D presentation is extremely amazing except for three scenes:
-- Aircraft flying towards and from Arcadia: very apparent that it's a conversion from 2D shot
-- CG of aircraft graveyard: very weird, artificial and distinctly shows several layers of 3D-plane instead of one continuous depth
-- Scenes with torches. The fire popped out too much whereas the torch is further away from the fire. Weird depth perception to the point of distracting

Storyline:
What storyline?

Overall? I enjoyed this movie much better than Avatar (both IMAX 3D and regular RealD presentations)

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 01:20 AM

Good to know as I plan on watching this next week though I could care less about the 3D.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-12, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think due to its great photography works, it doesn't matter whether this movie is viewed in 2D.

One thing for sure, unlike Avatar, this movie will be more enjoyable to watch in 2D than Avatar.

Another aspect that I like about this movie is that it doesn't try to be intelligent and it's not taking itself too seriously.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 09:06 AM
Veteran

To the OP - Where did you see the movie? IMAX or digital?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-13, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Regular Real3D viewed from 1/2 screen height away.

Reason being is that even with silver screen, the brightness level have suffered quite dramatically (I assume to be no more than 11ft/L) and IMAX3D presentatuion have always been worse (in brightness, must be much lower than 10 ft/L)

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 01:37 PM

Yay! Support films shot in Toronto!!

I worked on it, I was one of the set designers and designed the futuristic V-22 VTOL aircraft both exterior and interiors, cryo tubes, and as well as all the end white rooms. It was a lot of fun to work on and please support films shot in Canada!!!

Funny, a lot of those aircrafts were real - we only extended it with CG ones in the distant background.

Brainless fun is exactly what it aims to be.

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Agreed. Not all movie should be "Citizen Kane". For me, movie is mostly escapism, so I do want to park my brain outside and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

wm_cheng, do you guys ever need on-location still photographer?

PS: I like the cryo tubes. They are not too stylish and adds the believability of the tubes' function.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 03:19 PM

Yes, but they have to be unioned - we use IASTE 667 for stills photographers.

Panasonic PT-AE2000U|Elite Cinetension2 100"|Yamaha RX-V3900|PS3|Paradigm Monitor 7|Bose AM-10s|Polk PSW350
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-15, 06:43 PM

I didn't go in expecting much but this movie was WAAAAAAYYYYY better than I thought it would be. I'm not a HUGE Resident Evil fan but I've played the games and watched the other three movies multiple times. I'm tired of critics giving such bad reviews, for what the movie is trying to do, it does it great. The previous movies weren't great but I enjoy them because I know what to expect. This movie blew away my expectations not only because of the 3D, but moreso because of the cast and elements from the game finally being brought into the film series.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_cheng View Post
Yes, but they have to be unioned

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCardboard View Post
I'm tired of critics giving such bad reviews, for what the movie is trying to do, it does it great.
Agreed, too many film critics seems to have the need every single movie to be the next Citizen Kane. There are times that movies needs to be good... if the premise is good. This movie is about shooting the undead no question asked... and this movie delivers perfectly.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 11:41 AM

This movie bored me to death, that I didn't even bother finishing it. It's got to be up there with book of Eli as one of the bore-fest movies in the last 18 months.

I am still waiting for the next citizen kane calibre movie to be made.

Rosebud my friends, Rosebud
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-17, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

LOL! too funny!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Watched this on Sunday in digital 3D at Orion Gate in Brampton. I really need to stop going to that theatre....

Good movie - no Avatar, but we enjoyed it. The 3D is also not up to the Avatar level, but was used well in a few places. However, we found it hard on the eyes, as if the registration was off, or something.

Does it matter how close to the screen you sit? We were about 1/3 of the way back from the screen.

There was one major issue with the story - this is a spoiler....
Alice survives the plane crash, untouched, even though she has been changed back to human. How can that be, when the bad guy was destroyed and had to be "rebuilt by the T-cells"?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

In theory it should be able to be watched from any (theatrical) distance. In reality, however, if I sit further back than the 1/3 (from the front) of the theatre, I get headache. The same goes with my daughter.

I always sit on the first or 4th or 5th row (which in actual distance, due to the walkway, is actually more like the 8th or 9th row) from the screen and never experienced headache.

As far as answering your question (the spoiler)... my daughter have the perfect and most logical answer to it: "because she's special".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.