why studios change titles for other regions? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question why studios change titles for other regions?

Do you guys have any hypothesis on the reasoning behind multiple titles used for the same movie in other parts of the world?

Example:
US(original title): Fists of Steel. Int'l: Hands of Steel
US: Nanny McPhee Returns. Int'l (original title): Nanny McPhee & the Big Bang
US: Karate Kid; Int'l: Kungfu Kid; Japan: The Best Kid; Original title: The New Karate Kid
US: 9 Int'l (original title): Number 9

It seems to me that the NA titles (unless it's the original title), it always gets the dumbed down version of the title.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Not always. Canada got Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 01:16 PM
DHC Supporter

I've always enjoyed the "urban myth" (which strikes me as more plausible than the official explanation) about the "III" having been dropped from "The Madness of King George III" (which was a good movie) because of "fear that American audiences would think the film was a sequel".
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 02:20 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
Not always. Canada got Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
As per the book, but the US had a different movie title

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=harry+potter

I assume this happens to a lot of movies due to certain "context" in a certain country.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 04:00 PM
Veteran

I think the point was that Canada got the original -- not dumbed-down version -- and Canada *is* part of North America.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 04:08 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Gotcha..

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Not to start an argument, but it's still an exception to the rule.

Another example is "Coco Avant Chanel" that's been anglocized (sp?) to "Coco Before Chanel"... which altough a perfect translation... why translate? The movies were released in various countries that doesn't speak French at all and maintain the title "Coco Avant Chanel".

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 08:10 PM

^ One could ask the same question about American movie English titles being translated for Quebec? Dumb? Often yes, because there's sometimes only a "le" etc. in front of a title, or an "e" added to a word, otherwise it looks identical to English and nobody misses the meaning. Local sensibilities, and (probably) the law in that case... Sometimes the Americans are in a weird state vis a vis their longest ally (France), so best not to have too much French in a title at the time LOL. Or plain marketing. It doesn't have to make sense. People get paid big bucks to make these decisions, so they must be good.

I have some "foreign" titles where the cuts are different, with the different market titles, so there's one not bad circumstance for changing. Might make some type of rights/copyright thing easier too, I don't know...

re wprager's comment: Reminds me of the current Honda dealer ad I hear every day, saying how much better their North American-built cars are than those made in Mexico...

BDP-83|DV-980H|PS3|CD1|TT-15S1|AVR-3808|4B/9B-SST2|Mag. 1.6|Par. 20/40/CC-690|ACI Titan II LE|Pio 151|Tosh LCD|DB4 (OTA)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

true, true... although as we all know there are too many people who got paid big bucks and yet they are still clueless regarding their decisions.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 09:51 PM

^ I am very qualified for any of those jobs, should you hear of an opening...

BDP-83|DV-980H|PS3|CD1|TT-15S1|AVR-3808|4B/9B-SST2|Mag. 1.6|Par. 20/40/CC-690|ACI Titan II LE|Pio 151|Tosh LCD|DB4 (OTA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.