stupid question: "9", what is it about really? + "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Question stupid question: "9", what is it about really? + "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"

I watched "9", more than once actually... liked it, but what is it about really? Anybody gets it?

another one that I don't get AT ALL is Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 11:01 AM

A war about man versus machines...that's all I can get as well. The characters were cute but story wise, my wife and I both have a different view of what it really is about.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 11:36 AM
Veteran

The story is kind of open-ended, and the conclusion doesn't really offer much in the way of explanation or closure. The way I like to see it is that the film is a story about redemption i.e. the 'Scientist', having created the machine that ultimately destroys humanity, creates -and imbues his own life force- to his rag-doll creations, while also leaving them with the means to destroy the machine.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 12:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
The only good thing I can say about "9" is that it's only 79 minutes long and didn't waste more of my time. My wife agreed and didn't see much "point" to the movie, more like a "slice of life" movie. We enjoyed many of Tim's previous movies (he didn't direct). Here's IMDb's take:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/

Here's the synopsis:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/synopsis

Quote:
life will once again flourish in the world....someday....

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

yeah, that's exactly how I feel. It's seems like it's a fragment (a story telling genre where there is no real story, just a part/fragment of a full story) rather than a movie.

How about The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. I like weird, but I can't seem to even go halfway through the movie. It's just too weird for weird's sake.

THX, ISF, Control4 Certified Professional; CEDIA Certified Instructor; CEDIA Certified Designer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-17, 08:12 PM

As for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, I haven't seen it but I know they used 3 characters to replace Heath Ledger. I would assume that would add to the confusion of the movie. Wasn't it directed by the Monty Python guy? If so, it can't be as weird as Baron Von mancheusan or something like it.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-08-28, 02:12 PM

I saw the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Directed by Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python and directed Twelve Monkeys and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas).

I liked it, but not sure I'd watch it a second time. Was visually stunning. Not confusing in how they incorporated the 3 actors to replace Heath Ledger. Very hard to explain though.

The ending wrapped things up well, but still kind of felt empty. Though I think that's how it was meant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.