The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thumbs up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

The first part of "The Millennium Trilogy" of books and film adaptations (all of which have been shot and already released in Europe), The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a Swedish film (subtitled) that has received a lot of critical acclaim. It has been playing at the Scotia theater in Toronto for a long time and I finally was able to see it yesterday.

It is an excellent, well plotted mystery/thriller. A disgraced journalist gets hired by a wealthy old industrialist to reopen a dark family mystery. At the same time TGWtDT's story is playing out - she is on some weird (Swedish?) form of probation and dealing with her twisted new probation officer's unreasonable demands. The only thing that links the two stories at first is the fact that she was being paid to spy on the journalist.

I don't want to spoil the plot so I won't go into any further details.

The movie is almost 2.5 hours long, although it didn't feel that way. Always a good sign.

At first I thought the movie was going to be something like a mix of La Femme Nikita and Run Lola Run. It gets a lot darker than that. There are a few unpleasant fairly graphic sexual scenes. Not something you would want kids to see. The movie is 18A in Ontario and that rating is certainly justified.

There is talk of an American remake, which I can't imagine working nearly as well as the original.

Long live the console war! Buy 'em all! Just don't give Sony any of your Personal info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 12:35 PM
Member #1

Dioneo, thanks for the review. My wife is reading the books so perhaps I'll take her out to the theatres for a change of pace.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-06-30, 02:41 PM

Playing at the Encore in Burlington therefore fairly cheap or wait till July 7 for the Blu-ray release.
The US made movies to be done later but most people agree that the Swedish ones will be the ones to see.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 01:31 PM

This is an excellent movie. It's the type of movie worth watching twice when you rent it, so you get all the details.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 05:58 PM

I believe the BD only has DD 5.1 (no TrueHD, no DTA MA) and if this is true it's a bit disappointing.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 09:57 PM
U

I own both of the BDs released to date. The first one is disappointing as it only has the French track. The second one has both French and Swedish... The Swedish track is very good (with subtitles of course!). I always prefer to watch a movie in its native language and use subtitles when I don't understand it. The studio dubbing ruins the whole atmosphere IMO.

Both movies are excellent. I read all three book (in French) twice!
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 03:20 PM

An excellent movie, no doubt about it, well told and acted. But my female friend who watched it with me had a tough time with the rather depraved violence and the incredible misogyny. People with delicate sensibilities may not appreciate this flick very much!

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 03:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
had a tough time with the rather depraved violence and the incredible misogyny. People with delicate sensibilities may not appreciate this flick very much!
Thanks for the heads up, supervij. Sounds about in line with the reviews.

How bad is it? I find sexual violence in film extremely disturbing, which is why I've avoided this movie. I love psychological thriller/horror films, such as Silence of the Lambs, American Psycho, Se7en, etc. Disturbing, but not unwatchable.

Any advice?

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 03:47 PM
Member #1

The rape scene is really horrible.

I would not recommend any woman watch this without first being warned.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 04:41 PM
U

Agreed... Listen to this one though. My wife saw this as part of the "Stars and Strollers" program where you can bring your baby to the movie theater. Our son must have been just a few months old when she saw it. She had never heard of the books or movies before going (she just wanted to get out). She was pretty freaked out at the rape scene as you can imagine... She was alone with the baby, as were most of the other moms in the theater.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 05:17 PM
Veteran

My wife and I have both read the book.

While I want to see the movie, she's on the fence because of some contents from the book.

Would you say the violence is on par, the same or less than the book? I know this will be very subjective but I want to be able to give her as much info as possible so she can make an informed decision. Essentially, do I watch it alone or with her.

Thanks!
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-14, 06:13 PM
U

For what its worth I found the violence in the movies to be less intense than what's in the books... The rape scene discussed above for example is much more detailed in the book. Can't wait for the third movie to come out...
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U View Post
For what its worth I found the violence in the movies to be less intense than what's in the books... The rape scene discussed above for example is much more detailed in the book. Can't wait for the third movie to come out...
I agree. When I read about the film sex scenes I was a little bit on edge but I found them an integral part of the story and not gratuitous or exploitative. I think those are the right words. I have seen much worse in other movies and I don't usually watch those types.

Having said that I don't know whether it was better to read the book first or see the movie first. The movie I thought was faithful to the book but, would I have enjoyed the movie as a standalone?

I feel like rereading the book and also rewatching the movie in Swedish.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 11:18 AM

I haven't read the book and I enjoyed the movie immensely.

Er . . . wasn't the movie in Swedish? I do recall a foreign language being spoken and subtitles.

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 2010-07-19, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervij View Post
I haven't read the book and I enjoyed the movie immensely.

Er . . . wasn't the movie in Swedish? I do recall a foreign language being spoken and subtitles.

cheers,
supervij
Setup gave you the option in the blu-ray version to use English language. It was actually a good dub job, nowhere near a Bruce Lee movie. I know you miss something not watching the original Swedish but I was tired and didn't feel like reading for 2.5 hours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.