Power cords and your computing devices: My stupid error - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-08-20, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Power cords and your computing devices: My stupid error

I hope that someone can save themselves some pain and suffering from my ignorance yesterday.

The quick backstory: We had to clean out our master bedroom as we were getting new furniture. Thus I had to move and unplug our DSL modem, 2 routers and a DECT 6 phone.

Fast forward to the evening and it's time to reconnect. I set everything back up and plug it all in. Lights are on, it all appears okay. I did notice the modem lights were going nuts, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

Later in the evening I turn on my computer... no internet. So I run upstairs and check everything. I figure the wireless router jut got reset. After a fight with my laptop (the teenager managed to wreck the network port, but that's a rant the wife heard) I was fed up and went to call Telus. That's when I found that along with the routers and modem that the new phone wasn't working.

At this point I checked the cords between the modem and phone. I switched them and low and behold the modem and phone started working again. But I STILL couldn't get any internet from the wireless modem even plugged in (it would work find from the wired, but I needed to login to the wireless).

So, for the heck of it, I switched the power on the routers... well damned if that didn't work. I managed to login to the router and set up my wireless again (still not sure if the 360 and PS3 are still working, but that's tonights job).

I kinda felt like an idiot after it was all said and done, but I chalk it up to a learning experience.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-08-20, 11:52 AM
Colour coding is your friend.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-08-20, 12:32 PM
Member #1
Nice reminder. Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar problem once (hooked up the wrong ethernet cable and spent quite a while trying to figure out why things didn't work!)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-08-20, 12:50 PM
I did the same thing once, but with a less nice outcome! Between a cable modem, wireless router, and VoIP phone adapter, I managed to plug the wrong power supply into a couple of them and fried the wireless part of the router.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-08-20, 01:03 PM
Boy Oh Boy can I ever relate to this post. A couple of weeks ago I had to tear down My home theater with HTPC + 2 hd Boxes & 1 sat box & my primary computer & network hub for the houses 5 PC's,so that the carpeting and flooring could be replaced in the room they were in . This stuff had never really been setup right
and had all been added rather piecemeal along with all of the associated cableing RAT"S NEST... When dissasembling I took my time & labeled as much as I could. It could have been just to easy to get a power adaptor or something
attached to the wrong piece of equipment there's about 9 different adaptors with varing voltages ect to address. On reassembling I took an entire Day carefully grouping , bundling & cable tying all component and like wireing together, I was still amazed at the end when low and behold I got it all right on the first shot & everything worked as before. Whew!!!
It really looks a lot better in behind there as well, I really am glad now I took the time to do it right finally. and Iam sure next time it will all come apart and go back together again much easier. but it certainly was not a Job I would want to have to do on a regular basis.

This exercise will probably pay off sooner then expected ,as I ordered all new Office furniture yesterday
and the hub PC will need to be stripped and reassembled again in a couple of weeks when it arrives

Last edited by RRH; 2007-08-20 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.