Usenet and Newsreader - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-02-19, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Usenet and Newsreader

Iam looking for a good usenet news server, I have read about giganews and was wondering if anybody has any good or bad opinions. Also if any opinions on a good newsreader such as newsleecher / newsbinpro.

Thanks for any help

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-02-19, 04:30 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

I googled "usenet server" and the results page had a list of pay as you go Usenet services on the right. Try one, and if you don't like it, move on until you find a satisfactory one.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-02-19, 04:47 PM

I am using newsbin pro and have a giganews subscription. For a good year and a half now, I love it. I use my provider (shawnews) as the main server and use the giganews server as the fill server as they have all the parts shaw is missing. I have 10 simultaneous connections to each server and I peak out at upwards of 700 kilobytes/sec.

I have the $12.99/mo 25gb limit account and rarely go over.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-02-19, 06:39 PM

"Newshosting" is unlimited and is about $15CDN per month if you pay on a monthly basis. It's very fast.

As for software, Newsleecher's SuperSearch is very good. IMO, Newsleecher is the better of the two.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2007-02-19, 09:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob111 View Post
Iam looking for a good usenet news server, I have read about giganews and was wondering if anybody has any good or bad opinions.
I use Astraweb http://www.news.astraweb.com/
A nice option from them is "Pay by Download", i.e. the ability to buy X gigabytes for Y dollars (there are 3 diffent plans). THE GIGABYTES DO NOT EXPIRE. If it takes you years to burn off your gigabytes, the one-time payment is all you pay, until you need to top up. I'm a low-bandwidth user, almost exlusively plaintext groups. I paid US$25 for 65 gigabytes back in October 2004. My current status is...

Bytes Downloaded: 10,226,043,860 bytes (10.23 GB)
Downloads Left: 54,773,956,140 bytes (54.77 GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob111 View Post
Also if any opinions on a good newsreader such as newsleecher / newsbinpro.
One size does not fit all. Because I use a newsreader for communication, not for downloading movies, I prefer slrn, although it's also half-decent for binaries. I've always been a "command-line-commando", since the "green-screen" days of CP/M. slrn is an excellent text-based newsreader. It also has the ability to spool to your harddrive, and read offline later. I follow a few groups, so I use this option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.