Strange new Gmail account linked to mine - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-05-13, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Strange new Gmail account linked to mine

Hi there,

long time lurker but hope to be contributing more on this great site.

Just yesterday I received an email from Google that my new gmail account was created, and active. Problem was, I had not created a new account.

Probably someone used my email address as the backup in error, but here is the really strange part - the email they created is couchXXXX@gmail where XXXX are the numbers of my home address. This, and the fact that they used my regular email address as the linked account (which does not have 'couch' in the name at all), I don't think is an error or coincidence.

Trouble is, I cannot figure out the motive. I unlinked the account from mine, just to be sure, and changed the passwords on my two email accounts as well. Also checked for suspicious login activities, none.

Anyone hear of anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-05-13, 09:04 PM
Veteran

My guess is they were trying to used the newly linked account to reset the password and gain access to your account. I don't think that would work but might if you personally verified the new link using your own account. They might have been using information from a web site that was hacked. You did the right thing to secure your account.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-05-14, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks ExDilbert. The theory of using info from a hacked website makes sense, since I do recall using 'couch' and my address as a login name in the past.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in