What does this mean? "UHD 4K x 2K video resolutions up to 1920 x 1200" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert
  • 1 Post By 57
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-07, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation What does this mean? "UHD 4K x 2K video resolutions up to 1920 x 1200"

Hey everyone. Looking for some advice.

I want to buy an adapter so I can connect a high-end tower computer with a DisplayPort video card to a 4K projector with HDMI inputs. The signal will be either WQHD (2560x1440) or UHD-1 (3840x2160).

I know DP and HDMI signals are not compatible and need an active converter. But when I do find an active converter it says things like:

Quote:
The StarTech.com« audio/video adapter in black, has one 20-pin DisplayPort male connector on the first end and one 19-pin HDMI female connector on the second end. The plastic enclosure withstands harsh environmental conditions. It supports UHD 4K x 2K video resolutions up to 1920 x 1200, 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720 at 60 Hz. This compact adapter with lightweight design, ensures maximum portability.
How can it "support" UHD if max res is only WUXGA (1900x1200)? Does that mean output resolution is less than input? Is there an adapter that supports UHD-1 in output? Or is this just manufacturers getting creative in their claims?

I should note this is for static images and occasional video (no gaming) so 60Hz is fine.

This is the item in question.
https://www.staples.com/StarTech-com...duct_IM17M9562

Thanks for any insight you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-07, 12:43 PM
Veteran

What are the computer video specs? That is as important than the adapter. I was disappointed recently by an Intel CPU with integrated Intel video. It's supposed to do 4K but it turned out to only support 4K at 30 Hz.

Quote:
Supported resolution: Ultra high definition (UHD) 4K x 2K video resolutions up to 1920 x 1200, 1920 x 1080 (1080p), 1280 x 720 (720p) at 60 Hz
Doesn't seem to be very clear about what it really supports. I'd assume it does not support 4K, just 1920x1080p HD. I would avoid this product. It appears to be an overpriced but fairly simple passive adapter cable. You most likely want an active adapter similar to this.
Jake likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-07, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will take a look at those. I assumed by the size of the adapter it was active. I can't imagine why else the HDMI end is so large. But I have read a bit more and HDMI is also limited. Or at least the HDMI version. I now know I need HDMI V2.0 and not 1.4. This one says it supports 2.0 but I am doubtful. I was also aware of the refresh rate issue since these cards are aimed at gamers. Some were stating as low as 24Hz which must rely on the display to triple the refresh rate. But that would have to be a DP signal.

The video card I have can support up to WQHD. And we will have newer ones shortly. It is still a bit of a header scratcher figuring out spec sheets.

Edit: Just saw this in the Amazon comments: MANUFACTURER ANSWER: Thanks for asking! Unfortunately, our adapter converts a DP 1.2 signal to HDMI 2.0 (not HDMI 2.0a or HDMI 2.0b variants), not DP 1.4. Additionally, our adapter does not support HDR imaging.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-07, 04:23 PM
Veteran

If you want full 4K HDR support then HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1 is required. There is no difference between HDMI 2.0, 2.0a and 2.0b cables but there is for playback devices, active adapters and switches, video cards and TVs. HDMI 2.1 adds extra bandwidth which may be required for 8K.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

So we tested a modest laptop yesterday with HDMI (so no DP) and were able able to get 3840x2160 @ 30Hz according to the PJ. So similar to what you @ExDilbert experienced. Right now I am trying to source a good UHD test pattern. I suspect the projector might be up-scaling the input. It is all very confusing since the specs for the laptop video card did not go up to UHD.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 01:58 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Usually when you press the "info" (or similar) button on a TV or FP, that's the input signal, not what it's displaying.

FAQ - Native Display Resolution vs. Input Format

You could easily test this by sending a 1080P, 1080i, 720P signal for example.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

A little further wrinkle. On the projector HDMI-1 input is version 1.4 and HDMI-2 is version 2.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
press the "info" (or similar) button on a TV or FP, that's the input signal, not what it's displaying.
That was not the case this with 4K projector. We tested it by lowering the laptop resolution to 720P. And despite the poor resolution image it still reported UHD resolution on the projector.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-08, 03:09 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
When you switch inputs via the remote on the FP, does any "info" come up for a few seconds? I realize that sometimes if there are no connections on an input, it may not be able to switch inputs, but you should be able to connect a cable to one of the other inputs just as a test. Or when you first start up the FP? Of course in my previous post I did say "usually" and not "always" regarding the info button.

As you know, I've seen many displays during my optimization travels, however, there was usually some trick available to show the incoming signal and not what the display displays. Realize that most of my optimizations were on "TVs" and not FPs.
Jake likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-02-09, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips guys. I will dig a little deeper into the service menu.

A week ago I took 4K and UHD for granted since my 2016 4K TV at home worked out of the box. No cables either, just Chromecast Ultra. And like you said the incoming signal was indicated.

I am going to order some HDMI 2 cables and DP-HDMI adapters since that seems to be what I need for starters.

Also, if you know of any good 4K test patterns let me know. In the past I used AVS HD 709.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

We are in business. I got some HDMI 2.0 cables plus a HDCP 2.2 DP to HDMI and mini-DP to HDMI adapters so hopefully we have all the possible Windows and Apple laptops covered. Although the versioning for cables seems to be a grey area.

Since buying the adapters I found this link which explains some of the things I was seeing.

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/artic...k-hdr-content-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-03-01, 06:58 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the link. It's informative even if it doesn't really answer the question it poses in the title. I'm still pissed that my HTPC won't do 4K at 60HZ even though the TV will. I suspects it's due to the PC platform being considered "insecure" by the content providers.

HDCP is an artificial construct imposed by the entertainment industry. There is no reason why HDMI 2.0 and 2.1 devices cannot display 4K @ 60HZ other than the entertainment industry has decided to disallow it with their content. It's just another escalation in the copy protection war that the industry has imposed on consumers. It won't stop piracy but it will inconvenience consumers and cost them a lot of money. That's money they could be spending on content rather than having to constantly upgrade equipment that is being made obsolete by new copy protection requirements.

There is typically no difference in connections for different versions of HDMI cables. The differences are in the bandwidth the cable can handle. 4K requires more bandwidth and better cable construction to handle it without degradation of the signal. Improved cable construction is especially important for longer cables.
Jake likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in