Original Ethernet spec - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Original Ethernet spec

While surfing the web today, I came across the original Ethernet specifications. This is for version 1.0. There are minor differences between it and the current v2.0 or Ethernet II, to match with IEEE 802.3 Ethernet specs. Prior to 1.0, there was Xerox Wire, which evolved into Ethernet.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 08:27 PM
Veteran

I gotta wonder if anyone younger than say ten has ever seen an Ethernet cable.

--
Neil
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
Dunno, but the first time I worked with Ethernet, it was 10base5 "Thicknet", connecting DEC VAX 11/780 computers. However, first my first LAN experience dates back about 40 years, on the Air Canada reservation system, at 151 Front St. W., in Toronto. Yep, that predates both Ethernet and IP.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 10:45 PM
Veteran

I remember working in offices with over a hundred computers and dozens of computers on each segment. That was OK as long as most of the traffic was text. A little ASCII goes a long way. One place used X terminals connected to a single server. One of the owners would yell if he found someone using a graphics application like Xclock. One time, they developed a packet storm that took out the whole building. Lots of fun. Those LANs were slow even by today's wifi or WAN standards.

I also had a couple of home systems, Windows and Unix, connected together. The cards were about $250 new but I managed to scrounge a couple of used ones from the discard pile. The internet then was mostly 9600BAUD dial up outside of college campuses and office buildings and used serial cables so ethernet didn't apply.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
Back then, it was likely 10 Mb half duplex, which is a lot slower than what we have today.

My first Internet connection was also dial up and using SLIP, with a static IP address, as PPP wasn't yet commonly used. My modem was a US Robotics Courier, that was originally 14.4K, but later upgraded to 56K/33K V.90.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
^^^^
Dunno, but the first time I worked with Ethernet, it was 10base5 "Thicknet", connecting DEC VAX 11/780 computers. However, first my first LAN experience dates back about 40 years, on the Air Canada reservation system, at 151 Front St. W., in Toronto. Yep, that predates both Ethernet and IP.
Yep! Me too with VAXen. Vampire taps into that thick orange cable. Followed closely by networking pcs with thinnet cable with those little T shaped connectors...move one pc on a desk and the whole net segment goes down.

The crowning nasty in those days was getting an AS400 to talk over Ethernet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

^^^^
While I have worked with 10base2, I never had a network fail because of those T connectors. Incidentally, back in 1997, I was working on a project to convert some provincial government buildings in Queen's Park, from 10base2 to 10baseT. That work involved disconnecting the T connector from the NIC and then, depending on the NIC, either connecting the twisted pair cable or replacing the NIC and then connecting the cable. Shortly after that I started working at IBM where they had a token ring network.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 10:59 AM
Veteran

It was 10 Mb half duplex. Every time they added a new employee or computer they just tapped into the cable with another T. Then the connectors on the in wall cabling started to fail. (Those were originally done by a regular employee, not an IT person.) There were VAX and PCs and whatever else happened to come along all on the same segments. It's surprising it worked most of the time. The worst of it was when there was a power outage (which I swear was often caused by the same company's excessive power use.) Then it took hours for the IT people to get it all up and working again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.