Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

NAS Network Adapter

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Hi, I need to buy a network adapter to plug my 1TB portable hard drive into for wired access over the LAN. The drive is formatted NTFS. I'm looking for something basic.

thx

#6 ·
Dlink has exactly what you are looking for. I have one that works perfectly. Just go on their site. They have different variations of what you want.

#8 ·
When I get a chance, I will look this weekend. My box is deep in a corner....so small it can be left unseen. That's where it is!

#11 ·
Just did a bit of a search for "external hard drive network adapter." Here is an dated article on the subject. The Best USB NAS Adapters

Bottom line is it's a niche product with limited availability. They are likely only going to support USB2, not USB3. Name brand products cost close to US$100. There are a few generic knockoffs on Amazon or eBay but finding one that works well may be an issue. For the US$100 one of these devices might cost, a very good router with 2 USB2 ports or maybe even a USB3 and USB2 port can be purchased. For example, the RT-AC66U B1 is top rated in its class and has a USB3 and USB2 port. It has a regular price of $175 but can sometimes be found on sale for as low as $130.

#13 ·
So sorry Otown47. Completely forgot until tonight.

Anyway I had made a mistake. The day I bought the Dlink jig, it was a network switch splitter no bigger than my hand. At the same time, I had bought a jig on ebay which does exactly what you are looking for. Basically, it's a tiny box with a network port with 2 USB ports. They can be used as a Bitorrent server/user, a NAS and whatever you want to do. The model number (no-name) is 652 wlxkj and the box has a "Lan Storage" painted on the top portion. It looks exactly like this except I didn't pay that much. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-BT-Client-Support-UPnP/607905_491957420.html I must say it works pretty good.

Hope that helps! :)

#16 ·
That won't work with a USB drive.

Found an Addonics NAS 4.0 Adapter for US$91 plus US$20 shipping on eBay.It's CAD$152 + $5 shipping on Amazon. That's hardly worth it for what it does. There are better options for the same price.

Also found a "Venus-mini-NAS-usb-2-0-adapter" for about US$50 total and a "Pogoplug File Sharing Solution POGO-P21" for US$35. They are USB2.0 devices which makes then a little dated. Don't know how well they work.

Another solution would be a Synology DS115j NAS enclosure. That would require transferring the existing drive to the new enclosure or adding a new bare drive. I would keep the existing USB drive as a backup and copy the files to a new drive. Cost for that is $160 + hard drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.