Help with choosing a monitor - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Help with choosing a monitor

I am looking to purchase a 22" IPS monitor and I have come across these 2 models. I am not a big gamer and don't plan on using it for HD gaming or HD movies. I will be using it daily for work and personal use (surfing web, email, youtube etc.).

Both are on sale for the same price $140 CDN. Does anyone own one of these models or have experience with them? Is one better than the other in terms of performance, colour, reliability?

HP 22er

LG 22MP58VQ-P

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 06:32 PM
Veteran

The specs show very little difference between the two. The LG is rated slightly faster and has a DVI-D port, which the HP lacks.

However, the HP gets more very positive reviews and fewer very negative reviews on Amazon.com than the LG. Amazon reviews aren't totally reliable but can provide an indication of product quality. Personally, I wouldn't by LG due to the questionable quality of their low end panels. They generally rate lower than other makes when tested on calibrated equipment. I have a 21" LG monitor here that is pure garbage. Brightness and contrast are the worst I have ever seen in a modern monitor.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
The specs show very little difference between the two. The LG is rated slightly faster and has a DVI-D port, which the HP lacks.

However, the HP gets more very positive reviews and fewer very negative reviews on Amazon.com than the LG. Amazon reviews aren't totally reliable but can provide an indication of product quality. Personally, I wouldn't by LG due to the questionable quality of their low end panels. They generally rate lower than other makes when tested on calibrated equipment. I have a 21" LG monitor here that is pure garbage. Brightness and contrast are the worst I have ever seen in a modern monitor.
Thanks, how can I tell what is low end panels versus good panels from LG? I looked at different models on their website but there is no clear information on what is low to high end.

I do like the HP better in terms of looks, it looks much nicer and is very thin.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 07:03 PM
Veteran

If it costs $140 CDN it's a low end panel.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
If it costs $140 CDN it's a low end panel.
These monitors are $180 CDN when not on sale, so at what price point/range am I looking at for mid grade panels and above?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2016-12-31, 10:14 PM
Veteran

That varies with manufacturer and model and can be difficult to ascertain. I rely on professional reviews that use calibrated equipment and manufacturer specifications. The former is generally more reliable but not all monitors get fully reviewed. Panel manufacturer, size and backlight and type can also help. Keep in mind that intended use plays a part in the decision. Panels that are good for gaming may not be the best for other uses. I usually spend several hours doing research for decisions like buying a monitor.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-01, 12:38 AM

Both will do just fine for you. As you said, you are a basic user. You are not into gaming or HD movies and stuff. So, you should just get one of this two. I think they are pretty much the same.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-01, 01:59 AM

These two are kind of same. Seems to me you have a little biasness for the HP, since it's slim and look nicer. I think you should get the HP 22er model.
Good luck
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2017-01-07, 12:03 AM

I am connected with HP family. I am using HP laptop and also have been using this HP 22er. Its picture quality is quite good. I have no idea about LG.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.