backup solution over local network - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Post backup solution over local network

Hi, I watched a DIY video tutorial and setup windows backup over my local network. How (Not To) Get Free Unlimited Online Backup - DIY
The video itself says that the new backups will overwritten by the previous backups.
I am in search of a batch file as in this video tutorial which will automatically rename the backups file as soon as the backup is complete.
Or someone please suggest me a good home backup solution.
Regards
Superman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 10:58 AM
Veteran

Easeus Todo Backup and Paragon Backup are probably the best free backup utilities available. They consistently appear on lists of recommended backup utilities year after year. The fastest and most reliable places to store backups are a second internal drive, a networked NAS, another networked PC or an external USB hard drive. Most backup utilities provide options for automatic naming of backups, incremental backups, which saves space, and multiple full backups. An external USB hard drive has the advantage of being able to store it in a more secure location. Cloud storage is also an option but can be insecure and expensive. Be sure to encrypt any cloud backups with a very secure password. I'd recommend making a full drive image to a local hard drive and saving personal documents and information to cloud storage.

How to Backup Files On Your Computer
Norman_C likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-28, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I used Easus data recovery for recovering some files from my home PC. I just tried that tutorial as it is a DIY tutorial. That tutorial itself says that this method is not recommended as it overwrites the previous backups. I was searching for the modified the version of batch file.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 02:47 PM

As far as I know, all free backup solutions do not contain feature to keep last "n" copies or manage deletions of old backups. For that you have to step up to their paid products. Or, as you suggested, you have to come up with home brewed solution to do that, playing with batch files or PowerShell scripts.

I somewhere have PowerShell script that does the following:
- Find all unique "folder base names" in given folder
- For each group of folders found in above, sort them in order
- If any group has more than given number of "keeps", delete excess from the bottom of the sorted list
- If there is folder in the list that's left without date at the end, add the date in format YYY-MM-DD

For example, lets say that you have folder Windows Backup with following subfolders in it:

Comp1
Comp1 2016-07-01
Comp1 2016-08-01
Comp1 2016-09-01
Comp2
Comp3
Comp3 2016-08-15

and that you want to keep only 3 versions of your backup. Script will find in step one three unique base names: Comp1, Comp2 and Comp3. Then, for each of them, it will find all entries and sort them in step 2. In step 3 it will delete entry "Comp1 2016-07-01", because you have 4 entries for Comp1 and that one is oldest. Then, in step 4 it will append current date to all entries without one. So, in the end, you will end up with:

Comp1 2016-08-01
Comp1 2016-09-01
Comp1 2016-12-29
Comp2 2016-12-29
Comp3 2016-08-15
Comp3 2016-12-29

Is that would you had in mind?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 03:09 PM
Veteran

The last time I tried the free options mentioned above they did have options for incremental backups. That allows for keeping several versions of backups. Maybe that has changed. Another option may be to schedule several backup tasks. One could do daily incremental backups to one location, weekly backups to another location, and so on.

If a more powerful solution is required, some products have holiday specials at up to 50% off for 3 and 5 system licenses. I purchase these holiday sales and usually end up paying about $US10 per license.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 03:28 PM

They pretty much all have full + incremental (some even differential) option. Let's say you want full backup on Sunday, and incremental on every other day of the week. That either leaves you with (only) one week of redundancy and 7 files that you don't have to manage (at best), or with 180 files after 6 months that you need to somehow manage. I believe that's the dilemma that superbatman is trying to solve.

And yes, you are right, paid for solutions deal with above problem and are usually cheaper this time of the year.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 05:09 PM
Veteran

The problem with incremental backups is that every backup needs to be good in order to restore the most recent backup. That's generally OK for a small number of backups but 180 would really be pushing it. I keep incremental backups to 7 or fewer before recreating the initial full backup.

It's generally not necessary to keep every daily backup. There are lots of backup schemes but many typically go like this... Keep daily backups up to a week or two, weekly backups up to a month or two, monthly backups for a year and annual backups beyond that. That can be varied as need and resources require. Small, important amounts of data, such as work in progress, can be backed up more frequently, such as hourly or continuously, and kept longer. Disc images contain a large amount of seldom changed, easily reconstructed data and can be pruned more often.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-29, 08:31 PM

And no free solution supports even remotely what you are suggesting, because they are lacking backup management. That's what original post was about. superbateman was after rudimentary management.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 11:25 AM
Veteran

Even the paid solutions won't do that without some setup. It is possible by creating several incremental backup tasks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 02:02 PM

Actually, no. You don't have to create additional tasks. Paid solutions have "backup retention" settings where you can chose to perform cleanup based on number of backup cycles or time periods. They usually have few "standard" schemes plus custom scheme where you can make your own retention policy.

PowerShell script I have is poor man's custom scheme.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 03:27 PM
Veteran

Home backup solutions need several tasks to do what I described in post 7. They do have automatic backup retention settings but they are not that sophisticated. Besides, I was just pointing out an industry standard method of backup retention. Keeping 180 incremental backups, as suggested in the previous post, is rather ludicrous and highly prone to failure.

Retention policy is controlled in EaseUS ToDo Backup as described in the online manual under the section Image Reserve Strategy. It is fully automatic and available in the free version. The differences between the free and paid version are not that significant.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2016-12-30, 06:13 PM

Keeping 180 incremental copies was not suggestion. It is consequence if you have software that does not provide backup cleanup policies, which most free solutions don't.

Also, you don't need several tasks to achieve what superbateman asked. It's perfectly doable with one task. As illustrated here: Acronis True Image Help. Check Version Chain and/or Custom (especially cleanup rules under this section). All in one task.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.