Windows 7 Networking - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-07-27, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Windows 7 Networking

I am trying to connect 3 computers via a LinksKey LKR-604 Broadband router.

I previously had a Rogers ZTE MF28B wireless router with 4 ethernet ports to connect to the Internet.

I had to replace it with a Rogers ZTE MF275R wireless router with 1 ethernet port.

So I needed 2 more ports.

I can not make my main PC connect to the Internet with it connected to the ZTE. I have Windows 7.

Is it possible to use it as a network switch by only making use of the LAN ports and not using the WAN port?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-07-27, 11:03 AM
Veteran

It's possible but may not be the best way to do it. At the very least, DHCP must be disabled on one of the routers. Any other features that may interfere with the other router must also be disabled. Another issue is that LinksKey LKR-604 router has 10/100mbps LAN ports. Most computers have 10/10/1000mbps ports so the router will slow down the LAN. An unmanaged gigabit switch such as this is a better solution.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-07-27, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ExDilbert.
I have everything connected and working using only the LAN ports and my speed does not seem to be affected (speedtest.net).
I have turned off DHCP on the LinksKey router.

I will definitely look into the GB Switch. It looks excellent.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-07-27, 08:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
At the very least, DHCP must be disabled on one of the routers.
That's incorrect. Just set the DHCP servers to hand out different parts of the same address pool and provide the same addresses for gateway, DNS, etc..

It is quite common in business to have more than one DHCP server. The DHCP protocol is designed to work with more than one DHCP server and the client will generally go with the first one to respond.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-07-28, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Even so, it's much easier to disable DHCP on the internal router than to deal with configuring them to work together. Letting the internet connected router use its default settings and disabling DHCP on the internal router is the easiest and least trouble prone route for most people. Not using the WAN port on the internal router adds extra issues.
Norman_C likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 04:53 AM
Rookie

If you are pretty confused by above replies , diable the DHCP server and provide manual Ip address to each client. that will also work
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 10:27 AM
Veteran

^^^ Also a lot more work and prone to human error. Most devices these days default to obtaining an address using DHCP.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-14, 09:26 AM

There is an easy solution. You can buy two wifi adapter which will receive the wifi signal. Now, every device is going for wifi and keep forgetting about wires. Why should be you any different?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-15, 08:31 AM

Because Wired will ALWAYS be better.

Even under the best case scenarios, with the best wireless broadcaster (which most basic ones by IPS or bought are not), and best wireless receivers (again, most built into things are pretty poor).
You will still sometimes be limited in speeds... as well just straight off the bat, you will usually have less latency.

Start moving away, interference, etc.. things start lessening.

Your will always be more guaranteed to get better performance if wired.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2016-12-25, 01:36 AM

Well, since you are having trouble with wires, I think you better go for the good than for the BETTER. And about the Windows 7, the only complicated and questionable site of Windows 7 is it's networking features. So, it's suppose to give you a little trouble getting connected all three machines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.