Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

setup router for apple tv help needed

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Phage 
#1 ·
I have an apple tv 3. It is currently connected direct to the router via ethernet cable not using the wireless connection. The problem is the videos are pausing because the connections seems to be too slow. If I disconnect the router and connect direct to ISP interface there are no issues.
The router is a tp-link tl-wr740n. Is there some setting within the router that can be changed to pass the speed direct through the router?

#4 ·
The tl-wr740n is a decent router and should be fine at the job.

What video service do you watch?
Have you manually configured the router? Aftermarket firmware?
How many clients does the router serve? How many wired connections?
Who is your ISP? What speeds do you get / pay for?
Have you tried Wi-Fi (n) instead of wired?

#5 ·
Trying to watch tv show on netflix. More testing seems to have it working better if we set the res to 720 instead of 1080.
No changes to config or firmware other than turning off firewall.
ISP is LastMile which shows as Cogent when I trace myself.
this is the package we have, we tried a direct connect bypassing the router and everything seems to work fine with no pausing. That is why I suspect a router setting or something.
Residential Light Seasonal

$320 + HST prepaid per season
Six consecutive months minimum - additional months may be purchased
Speeds: 2.5 Mbps downloads and 130 kbps uploads
We have tried both wired and wireless.
There is one other wired connection and various (up to 6) wireless connections with minimal usage on them.

#6 ·
Speeds: 2.5 Mbps downloads and 130 kbps uploads
We have tried both wired and wireless.
When applying the rule of thumb "sustained bandwidth is never more than half the peak" you are left with a bit over 1Mbps.
That might be not enough for what Netflix is calling full HD. This would also explain why 720p works better.

It must be either borderline or Apple TV does (more) caching when connected directly.

The 2.5Mbps down pipe is definitely the bottleneck here...

#10 ·
Remember that the highest bitrate by any Canadian provider for Netflix is just above 3 mbps, as discussed in the thread below, therefore anything more than that should be adequate if that's all you're accessing. If you've got more users at home doing other things, obviously that may affect Netflix

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=208098

#12 ·
Well that's the highest AVERAGE.

I have pulled over 4 with Rogers, on a SuperHD compatible device.
Really comes down to what your streaming from. Non windows 8 browser streaming, your going to max at 3 anyways.

#11 ·
57 the link provider by Four indicated a 25Mbps option. Granted that may not be available yet here.

5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
And the internet does not operate at a fixed speed 24/7/365. There will be dips (but no peaks) and delays throughout your session. Everyone's internet is different in this regard.

#13 ·
57 the link provider by Four indicated a 25Mbps option. Granted that may not be available yet here.

And the internet does not operate at a fixed speed 24/7/365. There will be dips (but no peaks) and delays throughout your session. Everyone's internet is different in this regard.
My point was that the link provided by Four should not necessarily be used to decide upon an appropriate internet package for your Netflix application, since the bandwidth allotted to Netflix by Canadian providers (which are mostly higher than US providers) is only 3, at most 4 mbps currently. Certainly nothing like 25 mbps. Of course other considerations like the number of users in your home, etc come into making a decision regarding your internet package, but it would be folly to think that Netflix is using 25 mbps, when typically it's currently using one tenth of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.