Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Pondering 3 options for a beatup but still good laptop

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  okmrbh 
#1 ·
I have a pretty beat up, but still working laptop that has both hinges holding the screen broken off. The monitor is pretty scratched up and being held by tape only. I'm thinking of possibly just cutting the monitor completely off.

(1) If i did just litterally cut the monitor cable and then used the remaing keyboard portion as a keyboard pc using the vga out to an external monitor would it work?

2) Would cracking open the monitor case and disconnecting the cable work better. Then use the vga out to external monitor, similar to option (1).

(3) Just continue using it with the monitor flopping around & propped up by soup cans etc be my best and safest bet?

Thanks

#2 ·
If you're planning on continuing using the laptop, I'd recommend non-destructively removing the monitor cable rather than cutting it completely. Remove the battery, unplug the power, and unscrew the little screws on the bottom.

However, you might want to ask yourself what do you mean by a "good" laptop if it's literally falling apart, has no screen, and is being used as an underpowered desktop. You'll probably end up replacing it anyway when the battery or power supply dies. You should seriously consider purchasing a new (or used but in one piece) laptop and using that instead. If the hard drive contains anything important, it can be transferred over.

#3 ·
+2 for replacing it...
Having said that what is the make and model of laptop in question?
If it has a halfway decent MB / CPU it may be worth looking for an identical one in one piece on ebay, craigslist, so on...

#4 ·
It's a fairly recent model with an AMD A6 cpu and 4G of ram 640 G hd etc. It just suffered one unfortunate accident that over time of opening and closing the lid led it to the condition it is now. The reason I'm thinking of possibly jumping the gun and disconnecting it is the existing video cord is frayed and I don't think will hold up much longer. In the end I'll probably just keep using it till the inevitable happens- cord breaks, but wonder when that happens could it still be usable as a "keyboard" pc.

Thanks for both your ideas.

#5 ·
I certainly would not cut the cable since it could cause damage due to shorts. I would open the main case and disconnect the monitor cable from the motherboard. It might be best to leave as is. Just leave the case closed and connect a USB keyboard, USB mouse and external monitor. It may be necessary to disable the case switch somehow. (That may be possible in the BIOS or in the power options in Windows.) The laptop would then function as a regular PC with external inputs and monitor. If more USB ports are needed, a cheap hub should work.

#7 ·
Using glue or two sided tape to attach the base and screen to a fixed stand may also work. Anyone with basic carpentry skills could make one out of wood. A metal stand constructed from a piece of flat sheeting (steel or aluminum) would be better and could be made in a metal shop. Modified (very) large angle brackets from a hardware store may also work. Just don't screw them to the case. :eek:

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions, I've made up a couple of stainless steel brackets bent at the appropriate angle of course. Now I just need some Velcro to attach them from kb to monitor. This will also have the benefit of being removable when needed :cool:

Toshiba Satellite 700 series

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.