Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

go to NAS direct or through file explorer?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  okmrbh 
#1 ·
I have an NAS storage drive on my home network. When transfering files from one directory to another directory (both on same NAS drive) using my windows laptop it seems to take quite a while. The other day I logged directly on to the NAS from the same laptop this time going through the browser rather than the file explorer it appeared to transfer files almost instantly. When I was using the file browser (not logged directly onto the NAS) do the files have to some how make an extra time consuming leap. Or was it just coincidental?

Thanks

#2 ·
Using Explorer requires the files to travel to your PC to then be sent back to the NAS - a double unnecessary journey.
Using the web interface moves them directly, just like if they were on your PC and being moved from one part of hard drive to another.

#4 ·
can still use Explorer, just need to both explorer windows connect the same way.

Eg if the NAS is mapped to a drive and both windows opened from drive instant transfers. If one window opened from mapped drive, other say from network, you're transferring through PC.

#5 ·
It also depends on how the NAS files are mapped or, in other words, how Windows sees them. If the files are on different shares, Windows treats then as being on separate drives, even though the may be on the same drive inside the NAS. If the transfer is done on the same share, Windows should just move them quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.