Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Replacement CPU fan

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  TJCams 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 530
Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.40GHZ
3GB RAM

Having done some research, it appears the CPU fans on this model over time run loud - mine does just that. So loud, I have to turn the volume up on the TV...

Twice now, it has gotten so hot, that it shuts down. SpeedFan would show a temp of 92C (or more?). I have cleaned the fan as best as possible twice, and now it is running at 86C.

I am assuming the best solution is to replace the CPU fan????

If so, how do I know which model of fan to purchase?

Thanks!

#2 ·
CPU Fan

Suggestion - first use a can of compressed air to blow any dust out of the heat sink. This will help at least as much as cleaning the fan.

Re fan replacement, replacing the heat sink + fan with an Intel-compatible model might be a better way to go.

#3 ·
Here is what SpeedFan shows this morning:

TEMP1 IT8718F (what is this?) is 86C
TEMP2 IT8718F 38C
TEMP3 IT8718F -36C (negative??? sounds impossible)
HD0: 35C
TEMP 1: 40C
GPU ATI video card 51C
CORE 0: 50C
CORE 1: 44C
CORE 2: 45C
CORE 3: 46C

The one I have in bold shows a little flame (indicating it is hot), other are either a green check mark, or blue or red arrows (indicating rising or falling temp)

#4 ·
"If so, how do I know which model of fan to purchase?"

You need replacement fan for a socket 775 processor the model you have. Something like the model below which is rather good and easy to replace as it has the push pin mounting method saving you from having to remove the motherboard from case to get a back plate in there as some models offer for the mounting option. And don't forget the thermal paste clean off of the cpu when removing the old fan, some Isopropyl Alcohol on a clean rag/tissue will do nicely for that.

http://www.ebuyer.com/176157-arctic...o-rev-2-socket-775-1156-1155-1366-ac-frz-7pr2

#5 ·
The big PC DIY online sites (Tiger Direct, Newegg, NCIX, etc.) let you search their cooling systems by CPU, mobo, etc. until you find the right fan. When you buy one the new fan will likely have thermal compound already on it (make sure you check if that's the case). Clean off the CPU of old thermal compound with rubbing alcohol. For most PCs the supplied thermal compound will be fine, but if you are running any sort of high performance gamer rig you'll want to order a tube of the best thermal compound they've got (the tech has improved quite a bit over the last year or so) and thoroughly clean off the factory stuff from the new fan first.

#8 ·
The brackets for fans can be quite different based on the mobo's CPU socket, especially on proprietary mobos like Dell makes. Also a fan's airflow volume (CFM) is really important to get right. Too much is good but noisy, too little is a disaster in the making. As I say, you can use the tools at typical online DIY sites to get the right match.

As for heat sinks with fans, I outfitted a couple of my AMD PCs with Cooler Master Hyper 212s and they are always very quiet and very cool under anything I throw at them.

#12 ·
Why replace the sink? Does thermal paste become less effective over time?
yes, it can

lots of the generic coolers are ok, but their thermal paste is just garbage

I've replaced what feels like a million coolers over my tech life, and I've almost always gotten better performance with a moderately priced cooler, and good thermal compound, compared to the stock stuff

#11 ·
The bigger the heat sink, the greater the radiating area, the greater the amount of heat that can be dispersed by a suitable fan. If your PC case can hold something as big as the Cooler Master Hyper 212 or Zalman CNPS9500 AT it will dramatically cool the CPU if general air flow within the case is already good.

Thermal paste retains its properties for years in most cases, but the newest stuff also features alignment of the silver crystals that optimize heat transfer, according to tests. As I said before, that new stuff is for gamer machines.

#13 ·
Heat sinks sometimes take a standard sized fan. The trick is to find one the right size. Many heat sinks take a 70mm fan which is not as commonly available as an 80mm fan. The other trick is to find one that is quiet. Sunon fans are often available but are typically very noisy. I've obtained 60mm and 70mm fans on eBay for $2-$3. Ordered a couple and used the quietest one.

Replacing the thermal compound is a good idea. Some OC sites have compound ratings that help choose a good one. The CPU and heat sink need to be thoroughly cleaned and the compound applied correctly for good results.

Replacing the heat sink is the best solution. There are some very good, very quiet coolers available. There are also some that are as bad as or worse than OEM coolers. Choose carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.