Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Is there a performance hit with too many switches?

6K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  MyMedia08 
#1 ·
Here is the context....

I have an AP in the den, which is the main area re wifi usage. It's currently a flakey 8 port DIR 632 ; it's requires a reboot frequently.. Would love to replace it with a solid unit ..thinking something like the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (about $180)

But I currently take advantage of the DIR 632's 8 ports, as I need to connect the Ethernet wired source, plus a roku box, pc, AVR, and blu ray ( ie 5 cables), so if I replace it with the Nighthawk, I'd have to add a gigabit switch.

Normally not a problem...but because of some obstacles in the house, and finished basement, the path to that AP already has two switches : Hitron CGN3 (office) -> gigabit switch (office) -> gigabit switch(basement) -> 8 port AP (den).

So if I go with a Netgear nighthawk, I would need to add yet another switch .... Is this a concern or non-issue??

#37 ·
I actually downloaded the Xirrus but installed the Nirsoft one instead simply because it was a smaller executable and I just needed to know the basics.

Please let us know if the XIrrus program works well.

#38 · (Edited)
#39 · (Edited)
Hugh -- For Nirsoft for wireless network viewer , do you know the difference between :
- the signal strength columns ( last, average), expressed as a %
- the RSSI (received signal strength indicator) column, expressed as a negative number ?

UPDATE
Per some google searches: "RSSI or received signal strength indication can go from 0 to -100. Generally the higher (closer to 0) the better, and the closer to -100 the worse. The signal strength in dBm is reported relative to 1 milliwatt (that's the "m" in dBm), not relative to the strength at the base station"

But still unclear how that relates to the signal strength columns ( last, average), expressed as a %

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.