Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Need help finding an Android app

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  chadsfake 
#1 ·
Does anyone here know of an Android app that will play just about every media file under the sun? I have found a few but can't seem to find one that will read AVI's, MKV's, MPG's, MP4's and so on in one app.

The one app I thought did all has terrible CODEC issues ie: blocky videos. I use one of my Android Prometheus as an HTPC. Also, the app has to be able to search on network or LAN. ;)

#6 ·
This would be best asked in the Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders thread. Maybe there should be a sticky thread or sub-forum for Android based media players as they are becoming very popular.

Not a smartphone...Android TV box. Big difference.
Except for the lack of built in display, there isn't much difference between Android TV boxes and Android tablets or smart phones. The hardware is remarkably similar, sometimes almost identical, and the O/S is the same. My Android box has the same processor as my tablet (and some smartphones) and they run the same Android apps.

#7 ·
1. I know it uses the OS like a phone or tablet but haven't seen anyone call from the box. Unless you use Skype.
2. I was torn between asking here, or HTPC section but didn't as I wasn't sure if the box qualified as an HTPC. It looks more like something from Star Trek. ;)

#9 ·
Danster, I agree with the dilemma about where to post regarding Android boxes. Some are marketed as game boxes, others as media players and they have a lot in common with Android tablets and smartphones.

Making a call on a smartphone is simply the addition of a 3G/4G chip (for connectivity) and software (an app) to handle the functionality. It's not a lot different that using Skype or IP phone software over Wi-Fi, just different implementation of similar functionality. The underlying system is very similar.

OTOH, does adding a touch screen to a Windows 8 PC turn it into a Surface Tablet or Windows Phone? Obviously not but they share a lot of similarities when it comes to hardware, apps and software.

#11 ·
When I use ExFile Explorer to search my video files on my server, some files extensions are already associated with certain players. Some files say there are no programs associated with them. Will MX Player know which files are associated to its playing format?

#15 ·
I think I'll do just that. Remove any useless player there already and load each file type one by one and assign it the better player. That way I'll know for sure which ones will work.

BONUS Question: How come sometimes I will load a file and it will use whatever player and finally come up with File not supported?

#21 ·
I like my Android box due to its size. It does (mostly) what I want it to do so I wouldn't invest in a PC just to run a program. I have enough computers as it is....14 :eek:

#23 ·
Cause all the others are already tied to something. For a few examples: one is the brains for my TARDIS MAME arcade cabinet, another for my Videopoker touch screen machine, another for my bar jukebox, another for my pinball cabinet, another for my poratble jukebox/karaoke machine and so on. I have no computer in the bedroom, just a WD live+ and my Android box. I also have another Android box in the hottub area for watching movies while soaking in the tub. :eek:

#24 ·
I also say give Plex a try, load the server on any of your PC's after the initial scans and media info gathering the load on a PC is very low and you won't notice Plex running in the background.

Add the app to your Android box and away you go.

Another option is to load the Android version of XBMC on the box

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.