Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Power supply amperage

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Cockroach 
#1 ·
I bought a (Netgear) wi-fi range extender for use in France. Unfortunately the power supply is single voltage only. Output is 12V DC 1 A. I've been looking in thrift shops and have not being able to find a PS that puts this out. All the 12V PSs I've found put out either up to 750 mA or over 1.6 A. Would either of these suffice or would I need 1 A exactly?

FWIW, the Telus (obsolete) Siemens 567 modems has the same input volate/amperage but I've never been able to locate any of these PSs. Anyone in Vancouver or Kelowna got one they can spare?

#2 ·
The 1 amp number is a minimum required so a 1.6 amp output (or more) is ok.

The other thing to look for is the polarity of the plug that goes into the Netgear as the device expects DC power. Usually these little wall power supplies have a symbol that shows whether the inner contact of the plug or the outer contact is the positive one.

#3 ·
Agreed. With current (amps) a little over is usually better. The voltage, connector size and polarity must match. The type of power supply is also very important. Transformer power blocks do not supply exact voltage and may damage some devices. Use this type only if the original PS is a transformer power block. If the original power block is a switching power supply, the replacement must be of the same type. Switching power supplies often work with both 120v and 240v systems.

#4 ·
Are you sure that you can't use the power adapter from France with a plug adapter? Most modern electronics will accept from 100-240V so that you can use them anywhere assuming that you can use an adapter to go from the round French plugs to flat NA plugs. You can buy those at the dollar store.

What does it say on the adapter about input voltage?

#5 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

How does one tell a switching supply from a transformer? I imagine the later is heavier with the coiled magnet and all? The power supply is small and light, the size of something for a Nokia phone so I imagine it is a switching supply?

I don't have the original transformer with me (in storage) but it is definitely labelled as a single input voltage (over 220V for sure) and was one of the first things I checked. Netgear says something that power supplies are matched for the country the product is sold in and it's true in this case. The PS incorporates the CEE 7/16 Type C plug into the body.

#6 ·
How does one tell a switching supply from a transformer?
yes, small and light => switching power supply. if ya have an AM radio handy ya can usually hear some noise coming from them when the AM radio is in close proximity (possibly another clue).
heavy and bulky => transformer with an iron core, and most likely a rectifier/filter of some sort.
either one should still have a rated / recommended input voltage printed on it somewhere though.
With these you will not hear any extra noise on an AM radio in close proximity.

#7 ·
Single voltage units are typically transformer blocks. Higher current transformer blocks, 1A and over, will typically be heavier. Switching units are typically dual voltage and larger units will be lighter. It would be best to contact the manufacturer.

Not knowing the exact Netgear model makes it more difficult to help. I see a number of "Netgear ac adapter PSU" and a few "Netgear ac adapter PSU 12v 1a" listings on eBay. Some of them are for specific models. Knowing the model number could help narrow down the search.

#8 ·
Most Netgear equipment I have use the 12v 1A power supply with positive center plug. I even have a 220v one that has Europe plug on it. (two long wide spaced prongs)

If you're willing to pay the shipping, I'll let it go for 5$ plus shipping to your house at the other end of the country in reference to me! ;)

#9 ·
Cockroach, if you're still unsure of what to do just post a photo of your power supply's certification label so that we can see the specs for it. Either that or type it out for us in full.

BTW, I am a compulsive pack rat for power supplies going way back several decades, and that has saved me many batteries over the years! One of my idiosyncracies. :D If Danster's isn't suitable I might have one out in a box in my shed.

Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.