Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

whose email account has been compromised?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  toy187 
#1 ·
I sent an email to a person with cc to 9 other people. I was quite surprised when I received a reply to that email from a person who wasn't one of my recipients - either to or cc.

However, I was shocked when I saw the email to which he was responding below his reply. The originator was myself, the to was the replier and the cc's were the 9 people I had cc'd. The original intended recipient wasn't listed in the email. Furthermore, where in the first line of the original email I had written: Hello ABC (the first name of the intended recipient), this version said Hello XYZ (the first name of the responder).

So it occurred to me that someone's email account was hacked. So whose was it? Mine, the responder, one of the cc's, or the intended recipient? I have to my knowledge never sent an email to the responder and he is not in my address book, if that means anything. (I mention this because I did have a situation couple of years ago where everyone in my address book received a spam looking as if I had sent it).

Also in this case would the intended recipient have received my email?

Hoping someone can enlighten me in this.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, when I send out an email to a bunch of people I usually put them as BCC. I once had an acquaintance bitch me out because she said I stole her list. She sent out a hoax chain email to a bunch of people in CC, I only did a reply all with a link to the snopes article about her particular email.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.