Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DynDNS winding down free hostname service

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
This could potentially affect a lot of people. I have static IP, so I'm not too worried, but I don't think many people even HAVE a static option on their home service.

To our Dyn free hostname users:

For the last 15 years, all of us at Dyn have taken pride in offering you and millions of others a free version of our Dynamic DNS Pro product. What was originally a product built for a small group of users has blossomed into an exciting technology used around the world.

That is why with mixed emotions we are notifying you that in 30 days, we will be ending our free hostname program. This change in the business will allow us to invest in our customer support teams, Internet infrastructure, and platform security so that we can continue to strive to deliver an exceptional customer experience for our paying customers.

We would like to invite you to upgrade to VIP status for a 25% discounted rate, good for any package of Remote Access (formerly DynDNS Pro). By doing so, you'll have access to customer support, additional hostnames, and more.

#3 ·
I got this email from them today:

To our longest and loyal Dyn supporters --

In an effort to better service our customers through increased support and a cleaner network, Dyn announced that in the next 30 days, we will no longer be supporting free hostnames.

However, because you believed in us and supported this company through your donations, we are continuing to fulfill our promise to you: your service is still free for life.

Without you, there would be no us, a company that has grown to nearly 300 employees around the world and that supports thousands and thousands of customers of all sizes.

We wanted to send you a note to keep you in the loop and to also say thank you for your support, both then and now. If you have any questions or assistance with your services, please email support@dyn.com anytime.

- Your friends at Dyn
Fortunately, my hostname is still good. That said, if I had to move, I would probably move to namecheap.com's dynamic DNS service since that is where my domains are registered.

#4 ·
I have static IP, so I'm not too worried
Some people, such as those on Rogers, while on DHCP, have a consistent host name that depends on the router & modem MAC addresses. You can use an alias on a DNS server to reach them without having to use the long MAC based name. I have been doing that for years.

#7 ·
I had dyndns for a number of years.. even about a year ago.. I was away on vacation.. couldn't get to the 'renewal' to keep it alive. They wouldn't let me re-sign up as a new one, etc..

I myself have been using No-ip.com.
Same annoying 30 day thing.. but has been consistently working.

#10 ·
^^^^
On the DNS server I use, alias is one of the options. I use an alias for my IPv4 address and AAAA records for my IPv6 addresses. Other options are A record, URL redirect, URL Frame and text. I choose from those options in a drop down box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.