Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Router user feedback/opinions - ASUS RT-N66U

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Zaldrain 
#1 ·
Hey folks.

Been thinking of upgrading my router a little.. currently on an asus E2500, which has been suitable.. but nothing great. My mothers DIR-615 is toast, so thinking of giving her the E2500 and upgrading mine.

The main one I have been looking/thinking of, is the ASUS RT-N66U.

(now, I know I can get the RT-AC66U or the RT-AC68U... these would more future-proof my setup, with the newer AC standard.. but I don't have any devices that would be able to take advantage of it at this time. MOST of my wireless is phones, etc to not heavy speeds needed. Also the $$ increase).

Do any of you have EXPERIENCE with this unit..
Feedback... + / - with it?

I know it has quite a bit more in the way of monitoring and QoS.
How about stuff like Time of Day and mac filtering for devices, etc?

Thanks for any input!

See less See more
#29 ·
I have the same router and thought I would way in I am running mine on Merlin as mine is also configured to replace my default Fiber-OP router.

Anyway I grabbed a set of Super Power Supply 3 x 6dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz 5.8GHz Dual Band Antennas from Amazon.com (yes .com not .ca) and I now have no dead zones in my house, I had a couple when I was using the "default" Antennas. Not to mention I can pick up my network any place on my property now and I only drop one bar on the 2.4ghz spectrum. Just figured it may be something you, yourself may want to look into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.