Desktop Computer Buying Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 05:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa
Also, pretty sure you meant 120, instead of 20gb for the intel ssd, lol.
You'd be wrong. I even added a paragraph to explain to people that I'm talking about a SLC drive, not a MLC drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
If you absolutely need it today, go ahead.
Otherwise I'd wait to see what AMD's next gen offerings bring to the table.
Since AMDs product roadmap for the next couple years is public, is there a particular product that you are expecting AMD to release that will unseat the Sandy Bridge processors? Llano certainly doesn't look very promising, not even AMD is expecting it to be the performance leader upon its release. You can tell what AMDs expectations are based on its pricing scheme.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if AMD would come out with some compelling chips (from a raw performance perspective), but it appears that AMD is going to depend on their graphics chips being substantially better than Intel's. Their CPUs don't look like they are going to beat Intel for the foreseeable future.

But then, perhaps I'm not as well informed as you are about this topic. Do you have new information that shows that AMD has a chip slated to come out this year that can beat Sandy Bridge?

Besides, if you need a new computer now, it's best to buy a new computer now. Unless there is something amazing on the horizon, it generally doesn't pay if you think there just might be something better over the next hill, because if you did that you'd never buy a computer/smartphone/tablet/TV/etc.
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 06:14 PM

its all about the bang for the buck

sure Intel has faster offerings and if you have the money they are the obvious choice.

what AMD has done for years is to offer a well price alternative. you dont need a top end CPU if all your going to do is surf the web and watch video.

or you only have say 250 dollars to spend on your cpu and GPU. your better to save the money on the cpu and get a better gpu which is where amd makes its money.

also a +1 from me on dont bother to keep waiting...

post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 07:35 PM

For the most part, unless you're doing heavy video editing, or gaming, you really don't need much of a machine at all

with the advances in video acceleration, you don't need much of a gpu to watch full blu-ray either

pretty much any modern dual core (or better) with a couple gigs of ram, a mobo with onboard video is going to be enough for the average person

you can always toss a video card at the pc at a later point if your usage changes
post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
Since AMDs product roadmap for the next couple years is public, is there a particular product that you are expecting AMD to release that will unseat the Sandy Bridge processors? Llano certainly doesn't look very promising
But then, perhaps I'm not as well informed as you are about this topic. Do you have new information that shows that AMD has a chip slated to come out this year that can beat Sandy Bridge?
Llano is mainstream at most, definitely not high end.
Bulldozer is the high end, slated for release Q3 or Q4. They've been extremely quiet to date, with no information whatsoever.
So, as far as anyone knows it can destroy intel like they did in the early/mid 00's, or it will be a complete flop.

We won't know until we see it, or something gets leaked.
post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Ok this is interesting. But can anyone find which brand is better for fsx? Thats the main thing that'd heavily use the CPU. I probably wont be getting any other games on the pc, as I have a Xbox 360. Other than that, Ill just be watching a lot of videos on my pc, doing some re-encoding, a quite a bit of burning, Danceswithlysol, you say that I should go for the I5 cpu. Do you have any other suggestions, because the only reason I sort of wanted to get the 1090T was for the extra 2 cores. Id rather save the money if I could, and it still meant good framerates on fsx.

So basically, does anyone know which would be better for fsx? The I5 processor danceswithlysol mentioned, the phenom II X4 955, or the 1090T?

Unless it seems really worth it, my budget is under $145.
post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 10:00 AM

the problem is you've picked the most daunting game out there for performance.

you need a top of the line machine to play that game with good settings.

ie get teh fastest thing you can afford. cpu is a bit more important for FSX but you still need a competent gpu as well.
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 10:31 AM
Rookie

If you're taking a look at MemExpress to build your system, I'd also have a look at the systems NCIX builds.

I've dealt with NCIX on numerous occasions and find their customer service to be second to none, whereas on the other hand my experiences with MemExpress have not been the greatest.
post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 12:29 PM
Member #1

Okay we don't need retail recommendations, please stick to the topic at hand which is the new rig
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 01:10 PM
Veteran

jay84,

In my opinion buying products for particular hardware characteristics (6 cores vs 4) that don't translate into performance gains for your applications is letting the tail wag the dog.

To me, hardware characteristics are a means to an end: performance, power efficiency, durability, etc. Whether my computer has 1, 2, 6, or 50 cores, I don't really care that much. What matters to me is how well does it run the software I'm interested in. This is why I tend to prefer fewer faster cores over more slower cores. Most code isn't multi-threaded, and it will run at the speed of a single core and leave the rest idle.

Whether the performance improvement by going with a i5 over a AMD chip is worth the increased cost is your call. I can't really help you there. Intel i5-2500K chips will out-perform any AMD quad core by a large margin in running most software. Hell, it even out-performs AMD 6-core chips. If you look at this from a system perspective, the Intel chips give you more performance-per-dollar than the AMD chips. Right now, the only reason to go AMD is brand preference because quantitative measurements don't favor the Phenom chips, even when you factor in price.
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-23, 04:57 PM
Veteran

You should be able to pick up the VX 550W Power Supply a lot cheaper. I've seen them as low as $40 after rebate or $50-$60 cash, on sale. Be sure to get an 80+ certified power supply as it can save a significant amount of power. OCZ also has some good 550w-600w power supplies that have been on sale recently in the $30-$60 range.

I would put some money into a better case. CoolerMaster makes good budget cases but there are better solutions that provide vibration damped drive mounting, better access, more drive bays and other extras. There are some very good aluminum cases available at about the $100 price point (much lighter in weight.) I would also purchase an mATX case for an mATX motherboard such as the Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H.

The Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H is a good board but it is mATX and has fewer expansion slots than an ATX board. The Radeon HD 4250 is optimized for video and won't be all that good for gaming. There are some newer boards available that have SATA3, USB3 and an updated video chip. If you are planning on upgrading to a video card, stick with a 500w-600w PS.

When building a system, be sure to price match components. If the store won't price match, find one that will.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

If I do go for the I5 chip, since its an extra $80, where are some places I can save money other than the psu?

Oh and I live in edmonton. If you live here, do you know of any other cheap places to get computer products?

Or do you know of any other good online stores that ship to Edmonton?
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-24, 10:11 PM
Veteran

I also live in (well, near) Edmonton.

My preferred Canadian computer retailer is NCIX. My preferred local retailer is Memory Express. I suppose you could try and find a low price on a PSU that MemEx also carries and get them to price match it.
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-25, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok I tried that NCIX site, and I got the I5 2400 instead. The final price w/ shipping came out to $727. Im wondering though, do they have financing options?
post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 2011-06-25, 01:12 PM
Veteran

I'm not sure about the financing since I've never purchased electronics using financing, and honestly, I'd recommend you take a pass on buying electronics until you have the money to do so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.