Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Scam Phone call offering to clean infections on your computer

26K views 73 replies 48 participants last post by  Danster 
#1 ·
On Friday we received a phone call at the house from the number 123-456-7890. The person on the call told us our computer was likely infected with a new infection that is going around and wanted us to log in to a web page to have them look at the problem and repair it.

Being a computer expert, I didn't trust it. When I told him I was an expert, he hung up. I didn't think too much about it until I was talking with my mother who received the same call, in a location 3 1/2 hours away from me.

My hunch is that this is some company trying to leverage something like GoToAssist or other web remote control software that lets you control someone's computer. This company could get control of the computer and install scanning software that will incorrectly report viruses on your computer and then require you pay them money to clean out the 'infections'.

If we get a call like this, any idea who we should alert, if anyone?

#31 ·
I got a call a few days ago. I think the person was claiming to be from microsoft tech support and that my windows had viruses (yes i know it should be virii? :) ).

I told him to lick my *1*@ and hung up.

I need to come up with something more creative. I usually don't pick up when the call display doesn't show a number I know of (especially when its blocked, or is something like 00000000 or 1234567890). However I was waiting for a call back from my cable company and I wasn't sure what would come up on the call display.

It was also a pretty rude call. When I first picked up the phone, all I could hear were people making jokes and laughing (in what sort of sounded like punjabi). It took about 20 seconds before the guy even tried to con me.

I should probably let my grandparents know to hang up if they get this call....

#33 ·
I often wonder why we pay for Call Display. 90% of all calls we receive are Unknown Name, Unknown Number. Of course we don't respond to them for it is one way to stop phone companies being able to charge for Call Display and also charge others for not displaying their names and phone numbers.

We also get a slew of calls with a number shown but when you check Canada 411 it turns out that there is no such listing for that number with that area code, but they show the same number with various other area codes. Now how do people manage to make a call from a phone that isn't even listed nor is it a cell' phone number ?

Maybe you should have asked him if he had anything to rid your phone of a virus. ;)

#35 ·
I had the call again last night, the guys name was "mack', when I said how ironic he is called Mack and telling me about a virus on my Windows machine, he hung up.....lol

#37 ·
Helped someone with their computer yesterday (clean up junk/performance/upgrade RAM/etc)
Needless to say, it was in perfect order when I left.
I got a call that same night that they had received a call from these people and they were fixing things before the imminent hard drive crash ("If you don't get it fixed now, everything will be gone by tomorrow!")

I informed them it was a scam and told them to hard power off the computer before they could do any (more) damage. Went back this morning to find a couple BS security programs and a big "uninstall programs" shortcut (which points to their same software).

It's a little ironic how they were 'grilling' this lady for having an unofficial MS Office install, when they're scamming people left and right.
(she had a legit copy regardless.. the 'unoffical' one was the 60 day 2003 trial, she had a full install of 2007 activated on the same machine)

How have these people not been caught yet?
Surely the police can trace them.

#38 ·
I received a call last night and this guy who could hardly speak english was trying to tell me I had viruses and he would fix them.

I know it's a scam and I played it up and really played dumb and just kept this guy talking and talking until I got bored and then flipped the conversation around that I was a police officer in the internet fraud squad and he has made a big mistake with this call and that forces had been dispatched to take them down witin 10 minutes.
He did seem honestly nervous but I really enjoyed screwing with him.

#39 ·
Phone calls from India asking about our Microsoft computer problem

We have gotten 2 or 3 calls the past couple of weeks from people with Indian accents asking about our computer Microsoft computer problem. The caller ID says all 00000's. We are on the DNCL, and I have no idea which company the calls are originating from.

Has anyone else been receiving these calls?

Thanks

#42 ·
I just received one of those phone calls, but there was no caller ID available. I let him get into his bit about how they realized I had a problem with my computer and it was running slow and followed his directions. It got fun when I was asked if I saw the little flag at the lower left corner and I said no. He asked if my computer was turned on and saw icons etc. He then asked again about the flag and I again told him I didn't see it. He started getting all mixed up. I then blasted him saying that he obviously was a fraud, otherwise he would have seen my computer was running Linux, not Windows and tossed in a few more choice words and told him never to tall again. He tried to talk some more, but eventually hung up after again calling him a fraud and about how what he was saying was garbage.

Gee that was fun!!! :)

#43 ·
I got the calls twice in the past month and the fellow asked me to go to my computer, which is a Mac and started talking about Windows. I also wasted a bit of his time (perhaps a minute) eventually telling him I had a Mac. I don't even bother asking them to remove my number from their call list because I know they never do. I also now rarely answer the phone unless I get the distinctive ring of someone in my directory.

#46 ·
Well nice to know they are still going strong in 2012, another call yesterday, that is 3 in 4 days so far.

I keep them on the line as long as possible now, telling them I will start my Computer and to wait until it boots. I then put the phone near the TV and get on with what I was doing, they are gone when I pick up the phone again.

#49 ·
My wife and I just let our phone's answering machine handle all our calls*. If a caller identifies himself and it's someone we know (or a call we're expecting), we'll pick up the phone; otherwise, the caller can choose to leave a message or hang up.

It's been a very long time since we've talked to someone we didn't want to talk to. :)

(*On those rare occasion where, for some reason, I pick up the phone without knowing who's calling and find myself faced (voiced?) with a telemarketer, I politely say "Thanks, but I'm not interested" once...twice...and then I hang up.)

#50 ·
If you actually get the scam and into a Windows focused call, why not just tell him you have Blue Screen or some other real Windows error you remember and try to make them do some actual Microsoft technical support.

I'd start out with "Wonderful.... I'm so thankful you called .... no I can't run your program or see my tray icon because I have this other problem when logging in .... please help".

#52 ·
Gee, I wonder if you overloaded them with a whole boatload of "faults" that you're "experiencing", can they actually handle it?

Like start with icons going away, monitor randomly changing colour, keyboard randomly quits.. then work up to the occasional upside down letter (sound calm.... you'll have more effect).

Remember the (now ancient) WordPerfect e-mail that circulated in the early 90's that supposedly took place between an office worker and support, making the user look totally inept.

Well.... Maybe now it's time to turn the tables on these callers.... :)

Cameron

#53 ·
Finally after months of seeing these complaints, I got the call tonight. I have loads of time tonight, so I'm going to screw with these guys (India).

First "Atam", who I suppose screwed up the spelling of his own name, told me he was from Windows Service Provider, etc.. I asked what my computer could possibly have to do with my windows, and I am in perfect health. I haven't had the flu or a cold in months. "No sir, your Windows on your computer, and your viruses on your computer, sir." After playing him for a while he transferred me to "Kevin Jones" who was going to tell me my secret and private license ID. When I told him that I my computer didn't have a license, there was a pause. I then asked for his phone number to call back. Laughter in the background.... Yes sir, 10971097. Hung up. Phone says I had them on for 7 minutes.

Call back two minutes later.
"Hello sir this is Peter, supervisor ....".
"Peter what is your last name and employee number?".
"No my name is Ben Peter, and there is not such thing for me to give you". "How do you link my computer with my phone number?"
"Sir, we are calling to help you with,..."
"Where are you calling from?"
"365 Don Valley Parkway"
I then explained to him that there are no buildings on the DVP, so after being pressed he gave me a phone number 647-754-10xx. Me: "Please hold while I verify your number".

Unfortunately he hung up and I was only able to waste another 3 minutes of his time. I figure, if I'm not busy, the longer I can string this guy along, the less likely he will be returning to "work" tomorrow, if his "sales" don't meet "quota".

I wish I had seen this earlier:
I asked how his family felt about him being a criminal. Do your kids like the fact you are a criminal? Does it make your parents proud? He hung up after a minute or so.
It would be fun to turn the tables on them. "You have been on this call long enough that I now have your IP address of your VOIP call. I will be in Calcutta next week, and I will be happy to detour my trip to visit your place of call, and I will pay the ISP to disconnect your employer if they do not give me your name and address of your family. It is only a matter of time before I should tell all the friends of your parents about how shamefully you disrespect your parents and your family. When I see you next week, how much money can you pay me to not tell me your parents and their friends?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.