Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

CRTC to allow a-la-carte channel picking

13K views 60 replies 41 participants last post by  luvgolfing 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060228.gtdigital28/BNStory/Technology/home

The tier system, which was pioneered during the analog cable days and requires that subscribers buy TV channels in set groups or tiers, must be offered on digital cable until at least 2010, the CRTC said.

"Programmers are generally opposed to stand-alone or à la carte program offerings," the CRTC said in a lengthy policy statement.

"Nevertheless . . . consumers should be free to subscribe to them."

As the industry shifts from analog to digital transmission, which provides a high-definition TV signal through a set-top box, cable companies have sought to sell channels individually.

However, in a show of support for analog cable networks concerned that their audiences may plunge, the CRTC said the tiered system must be kept in place on digital cable until 2013. If cable providers have transferred more than 85 per cent of their subscribers to digital after 2010, that system can be dropped.

#56 ·
First Canadian cable TV in 1966? I don't think so. Nelson, BC had cable TV in the mid 1950's and I don't think it was the first. I am not sure when it started for sure but it was with Spokane, Washington channels. There were lots of small systems in Southern BC in the mid 50's and later.

#58 · (Edited)
#59 ·
Most cable systems in major centers had US OTA since their inception. Otherwise, nobody would pay for cable service. The signals may have been microwaved in for some areas. Cable TV was created to provide distant US signals to customers. The first "official" cable systems were formed in London, ON and Montreal at about the same time. Cable TV started in London solely to provide distant US and Canadian stations. Most stations on cable were from the US at the time (3 Canadian and 7 US.)
But why does this mean that the US networks still have to be "must carry"? Basic cable is so commonplace now that there can't possibly be any need to require BDUs to deliver them, especially since Canadian broadcasters deliver the exact same content. I believe that must carry should only include Canadian OTA stations, and that some kind of premium has to be instituted for the US networks, since it's only a vocal few who actually want the networks themselves. This way, we may see a significant reduction in simsubbing, since it wouldn't be commercially imperative for programs to be broadcast at the same time..

#60 ·
Should be no must carry. People should be free to choose the channels they want but that aint gonna happen.

I never watch CMT, Shopping, Vision, APTN etc and many other channels I get but I have to get them if I want the channels I want. Like wtf is that? There are only about 16 channels I want yet i have to pay to get channels I never watch.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.