Linux new kid - Solus - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 2017-09-22, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Linux new kid - Solus

so been using (dual boot) Linux and Win10 for about 1yr now. Did a lot of distro hopping over that time. Trying to find a "home". Tried Mint but had issues. One was screen tearing. Other was i did not like the desktop. Functional but old fashioned looking.

Did not like Ubuntu (Unity). I used Debian 9 for a few months. Worked well. Finicky to get going. Complicated process of installing Nvidia drivers (for a nooby) Wanted something that updated features instead of being locked down.

Tried Fedora 26 but installation was a pain. Severe input / mouse lag. But worked thru it and got it running. Liked it. Was more updated. Installing Nvidia was still a bit of a pain but less so than Debian. Also tried Manjaro but did not like it.

But i then a few days ago came across Solus3 on DistroWatch. Gave it a spin on a spare SSD512g drive. Liked it a lot. Did not like the Budgie desktop tho and switched to Gnome.

I like that the install was perfect and very fast. Installing NVidia drivers are a couple of mouse clicks. Came with most of the programs i use. (FireFox. Thunderbird, Open Office) installing Chrome and VLC was easy.

I like that this is a totally new flavor of Linux and not a based on version (like Ubuntu is built on Debian) And that it uses the rolling release so it will be constantly updated.

I feel this could be the version to convert people from Windows. I hope it takes the top spot away from Mint. It is made for home / desktop users and not so much for devs / pros. Being new it does lack a huge repo list compared to say Fedora or Debian but it is growing and does have most popular programs. I think i have finally found a home to stay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.