Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

rasberrypi 3

8K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
someone mentioned a rasberrypi3 just became available. happy owner of a rasberrypi2, so I googled it. sure enough...
Might take a little bit for 64bit distros to be compiled for it but just a matter of time.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

• A 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~10x the performance of Raspberry Pi 1)
  • Integrated 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1
  • Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2

#2 ·
#3 ·
Does anyone here have a rasberrypi 2 or 3, that would like to try out an image a friend put together? Basically it is Raspbian with updatelee's v4l-updatelee v4l modules in it.
It comes with a Qt 5.6 development environment and his updateDVB application already built (with git tree to easily pull in any bug fixes and rebuild updateDVB from source). Supported devices can do a pseudo spectrum scan, etc. It's like a TSReader like app for linux with a spectrum analyser function and an iqplot function. Probably have seen me post some screenshots here & there...
Recently, the dvb api was adjusted so no longer is it necessary to compile other
dvb apps that don't use his added api functions. (ie like mythv, tvheadend, should be able to use your package manager, etc).
But you can compile from source if you wish. It's based on an older version from January, I just added the pi3 kernel support to that image
so I could use it on either the pi2 or pi3.

If you have a pi and a supported device and would like to try it out, let me know in pm,
and I will leave a link to it in pm...

for some supported devices see:
https://bitbucket.org/updatelee/updatedvb
Some others not listed there but I have tested and work fine are Hauppauge 955Q, Hauppauge Aero-M, inDtube. DVBSky S960 DVB-S2 USB (partially supported).

#5 ·
The O/S is extra but Linux is basically free. Flash cards can be purchased that have the O/S installed. There are a number of Linux distributions available that are configured to run specialized applications. One such distribution is RaspBMC that runs Kodi (formerly XBMC.) From what I could find, it appears that v4l-updatelee is an application for use with tuners to scan for and receive satellite and ATSC TV signals.

The v4l-updatelee developer said:
# Tested with
#
# Prof 7301, 7500, 8000
# TBS 6925, 5922, 5925, 5980, 6908, 6903
# Skystar 2 eXpress HD
# Genpix Skywalker-1
# Hauppauge 950Q, 955Q, Aero-m
#
# Others are reported working as well, but havent personally tested them

#6 ·
#7 ·
So I managed to configured openvpn on my desktop, and want to install it onto a raspberry pi so I can leave it on 24/7. Is this a viable way to run openvpn? Can the hardware last 24/7 for a long period like a router does? Since it is the only application, do I need pi 3 or pi 2 will do, assuming that pi 2 is cheaper.

#8 ·
I would just buy a router that either already has openvpn on it, or one that can have
openWRT installed on it. I bought a linksys wrt1900AC for this.

I can access my home network from anywhere via vpn. Haven't had occasion to
to use vpn much, but it works pretty good.

I believe the pi2 would run the same as pi3. I use mine for streaming TV and TV signal analysis from the basement to anywhere.

#9 ·
An RPi2 or RPi3 should last as long as a router. I find that routers become obsolete before they fail anyway. The hardware is different but not so much that it would affect reliability significantly. When it comes to the CPU, the RPi is more similar to a smartphone than a router.

Majortom is correct. It makes more sense to run OpenVPN on a router. Open source firmware (DD-WRT, OpenWRT) usually offers better OpenVPN support than stock firmware but some routers have OpenVPN as supplied. Just be aware that OpenVPN is fairly compute intensive and it requires a router with a fairly powerful CPU (aka expensive.) Even with open source firmware, some of the cheaper routers may not be capable of handling OpenVPN. Another option would be to use a PC running router software.

In the long run, using OpenVPN on a PC offers the most flexibility. It's also available for phones and tablets.

#10 ·
Thanks for the expert advice. Running it on my desktop saves a lot of expense. The only disadvantage is when I am on vacation and have to leave it on 24/7 for the duration of my vacation. In this case, I am concerned about the HDD's. Maybe I can disconnect them and use the ssd only (openvpn and linux is on ssd).

#11 ·
The HDDs can spin down or go to standby after a set time. This is configurable in the HDD firmware. It's fairly easy to do with Linux since the utility hdparm is included (Read the man page and use caution with hdparm since the wrong settings can brick the drive.) A Windows utility to do the same may be available from the drive manufacturer. Windows can handle it natively as well. Under Windows 7, the setting is under advanced power options / drive for each power plan. Setting parameters in the drive firmware is better since each drive can be set separately.

#13 ·
I looked into using an RPi2 as a router. The CPU could handle it but the I/O is lacking. 10/100 ethernet and USB2 ethernet dongles limit its usefulness in that regard. (It could work for lower speed internet connections.) Even adding a decent 5GHz WiFi dongle requires an external powered USB hub. (2.4GHz dongles work fine without a hub.) A comparably priced *WRT compatible router would be a better choice.

#14 ·
Anyone have some good sources for buying RPi's in Canada? Previously I just bought from an Amazon vendor but wondering if someone has a better (reliable, fast delivery, competitive price) source that ships to Canada?

Sure I can do a google search but I've never heard of most of those companies and hence am looking for recommendations and good/bad experience with various vendors.

#15 ·
When I bought the Pi2, Amazon.ca had the best prices on the board and components. That still appears to be the case. Some of the vendors have their own site but the ones I checked had similar prices. Might have been able to save a couple of dollars here and there by buying some parts on eBay but shipping from China is slow and quality sometimes questionable. Buying from the US was more expensive due to shipping costs and exchange. A lot of the boards and parts are sold by third parties but shipped by Amazon. That means free shipping and easy returns.

#19 ·
The difference is that Newegg wants $50 + $10+++ shipping. If some items are stocked in the US and others in Canada, shipping can add up to $20. The RPi3 is basically the same price on Amazon.ca with free shipping on all items fulfilled by Amazon. The selection of accessories is also better on Amazon. Memory Express wants $60 for the RPi3 + $9 shipping. They will price match and are located in Calgary so that is a good option for the OP but not someone who must mail order..

#20 ·
I just went to adafruit.com, added a pi3B, a power supply and a case to a 'cart'
Doesn't look as bleak as I thought it might.
proceed to checkout with a legit Canadian address, and it only adds $10 to the cost of shipping compared to if I use my normal address. US Postal Service being the cheapest option in both cases. The two addresses are about 20 miles apart as the crow flies.

$76 USD total to a canadian address
$66 USD total to a US address.

Amazon adds up to about $55, but requires an amazon prime subscription to qualify for free shipping.

#21 ·
Amazon adds up to about $55, but requires an amazon prime subscription to qualify for free shipping.
Totally incorrect. Amazon Prime is only required for express 2 day shipping. Supersaver shipping is also free and often takes 2-3 days.

I just notice that the $50.45 RPi3 on Amazon.ca now has $5.54 shipping attached. Other suppliers are selling them as low as $49 but may ship from outside Canada. EleDuino, a reputable seller, is now selling them for $59 with free Amazon shipping. Other suppliers sell them as low as $57.49 with free Amazon shipping. There are also competitively priced kits.

$76 USD total to a canadian address
Which works out to over $100 CDN plus $10-$40 in brokerage fees. Only an idiot would pay that.

#25 ·
Although not directly related to the rasberrypi 3, but to brokerage fees...

3 years ago I wanted to order an $8 packet of UV (ultraviolet) beads from a U.S. source that shipped ONLY by UPS. The brokerage fees added onto the sale were $40.00. Insane. I didn't complete the order. At that time, I couldn't find a Canadian source. Frustrating to say the least.

Cameron

#26 ·
To Prime members on Prime day. I can cancel anytime but if I cancel the membership within 3 days I get charged shipping or whatever I saved and I get a refund. If I cancel after 3 days I get no refund(But I can cancel anytime???!!!)
Just a heads up in case one goes for the deal pointed out with a Prime membership of $79.

No proration or 50% refund or anything like that that I can see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.