Rogers IPG Display - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-02, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Rogers IPG Display

As a former ExpressVu customer, I find the Rogers guide to quite frustrating. I know that I cannot filter out the stations I don't subscribe to and/or don't watch (and isn't coming anytime soon according to my conversation with Rogers). Another annoyance is the one-letter program search - takes for ever to scroll through an alpha list if you cannot type out the program name.

I figured out that I will have to live with the above. However, hopefully something can be done about the following:

Can anyone tell me if there is a way for the Rogers IPG display to consistently show in widescreen? Selecting the Guide function after watching the HD channels results in the IPG showing in 480i/p (narrow). Looks fine, but I'm concerned with the burn-in effect over time on my plasma display.

Yes, I'm a newbie trying to figure out the best settings for my system. SA3250HD and Samsung HP-S4233.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-02, 02:29 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you want the widescreen display, select an SD channel (which you stretch with the TV) before going to the guide. If you go to the IPG from an HD channel, it'll be 4:3. I wouldn't worry about the time you spend in the IPG, unless you're watching the IPG more than the TV.

For setting up a plasma and STB see:

Rogers SA3250HD Issues

Also, when you have time, see:

HDTV Frequently Asked Questions: Please read this before posting in the forum

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-02, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideauman View Post
As a former ExpressVu customer, I find the Rogers guide to quite frustrating. I know that I cannot filter out the stations I don't subscribe to and/or don't watch (and isn't coming anytime soon according to my conversation with Rogers). Another annoyance is the one-letter program search - takes for ever to scroll through an alpha list if you cannot type out the program name.
Yep the search and inability to filter is abominable. So is the extremely slow IPG scrolling and only 5 lines per page. The organization, rather disorganization of channels, leaves a lot to be desired too. I also dislike the very slow channel changing of the SA 8300.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-03, 09:43 AM

It baffles me why Rogers thinks their IPG is acceptable. I went with them for a year for the free HD when I bought my tv but actually left 2 months early for *C. There were many many other issues that drove me away but that one was right near the top. Even my BEV receiver from almost 10 years ago had a better IPG.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-03, 01:17 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
It baffles me why Rogers thinks their IPG is acceptable
You think Rogers gives a rats a$$ about whether people hate the IPG. As long as you are subscribing to their services and they are raking in the $$ then they could care less about something as menial as this.

Don't get me wrong, I agree totally with you, their guide is horrendous, it sucks bad but since they don't care, people have to live with it somehow. I don't see the rationale behind not making any changes (even Star Choice changed their guide recently and it was crap too)?

My complaints in order of preference:

- The ability to create your own favourite list, so I don't have to scroll through hundreds of channels I don't subscribe to (This CAN BE IMPLEMENTED but Rogers refuses to do so). I know people will say that they do it so you know what is available and perhaps you might subscribe but realistically how many people scroll through the guide and say 'hey there is a new channel, let me subscribe'?! I would bet that most people don't do this, they scroll through the channels they are familiar with and find something to watch. Most probably don't even know half the channels that Rogers carries. If I want to know what services they have I will check their website or call them not scroll through 1000 damn channels in the guide just to see what is there?! I think this practise is stupid and they should implement this feature for their PAYING customers!

- Useless duplication of channels, they have inserted the HD versions of various channels in with the SD versions. Put all the damn HD channels in the HD section, why the need to duplicate them?!?

The only good thing about the IPG is the fact that you get 1 weeks worth of listings. Aside from that the negatives far outway the positives IMO.

I hope down the road its possible to have set-top box portability so you can use any box you choose and are not stuck with Rogers boxes with the butchered IPG. Another idea would be to have IPG's built-in to newer TV's, I believe that RCA had this feature on some of their sets a while back, not sure if it still exists?!
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-03, 01:44 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post
why the need to duplicate them?!?
They duplicate the channels to put them into themes. This requires no additional bandwidth, it's simply a remapped channel. If you look at the channel layout - it's got the movies, sports, news, kids, lifestyle, HD, etc. all in groups. Very nice and most people like this feature.

As for the IPG, if you haven't seen another, then it looks just fine. I've seen others and they may look slicker, but they may not work any better and may have a lot less than 7 days.

Each IPG has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I't be nice if all of them were "the best" but they aren't.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-03, 04:48 PM

I don't understand why the IPG is so slow to scroll. I press the page-down or sideways several times, and the guide LAGS the keystrokes, then overshoots where I wanna be. I hate that. I've had old 16-bit hughes receivers from a decade ago that were better than this. Processor speeds have increased orders of magnitude over the decade so why so slow!

Seven days of data is good, but its usefullness is offset by the painfully slow scrolling and the poor search function.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-03, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayitSimple View Post
- The ability to create your own favourite list, so I don't have to scroll through hundreds of channels I don't subscribe to (This CAN BE IMPLEMENTED but Rogers refuses to do so). !
Someone suggested blocking channels that you dont receive or wanna see. They show in the guide still but at least it's obvious they're not for you.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-03, 05:19 PM

The ability to create your own favourite list, so I don't have to scroll through hundreds of channels I don't subscribe to (This CAN BE IMPLEMENTED but Rogers refuses to do so).

The SA8300HD can create a favourites list. Are you sure whatever you have doesn't?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-04, 12:36 PM

I heard a "rumor" that Rogers is updating the IPG this year to APTIV. Its a Pioneer based software designed for Scientific Atlanta Headends.....so all of Ontario would get the upgrade. My understanding is that it is planned for 2007.
Again, until its confirmed, its just a rumor.

http://www.pioneerdigital.com/
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-04, 07:54 PM

Perhaps, but if doesn't work on Motorolas then it won't help us in Atlantic Canada.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-04, 09:45 PM
Veteran

I have used serveral IPGs, including TiVo Series 1, Beyond TV, XP MCE and occasionally some of the BEV terminals. I would say that the Rogers/SA IPG is clearly the worst. Some of the lack of functionality, particularly the search, just makes you scratch your head.

And the data that drives the IPG is also weaker than the alternatives. An example is episode titles and descriptions - often Rogers does not have these yet MCE does?
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-05, 12:41 AM

Please voice your complaints regarding the IPG (information supplied by TV-Guide Canada), as well as the IPG functionality to Rogers.

I've complained about the inconsistent programme titles and improper start/stop times issues for over 2 years now...

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-05, 08:46 AM

COTU - the SA8300HD can indeed create a "Favorites" list. The problem is there is no way to view this list on-screen and select from it. You have to keep pushing the "Favorite CH" button until the channel you want to watch shows up. This may be useful if you only have 5 channels or so that you watch a lot. But if you just want to program in the channels you subscribe to, you probably don't want to have to push the button 100 times to get to a specific channel.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 2007-03-05, 06:54 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers Cable Sony 50" SXRD, SA8300HD 320 GB, SA8300 SD , 2 x SA 3200
Kloraff,

If you go into the pioneer digital hyperlink that spicoli provided, it shows that there are three IPGs that Aptiv has created, one for SA, one for Moto DCTs and one for DVR set-tops (both SA and Motos are supported).

Looks kinda cool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.