GTA - Detroit HD Signals to be Buffalo HD Signals - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

GTA - Detroit HD Signals to be Buffalo HD Signals

Received a card in the mail today that "Effective on or about Septemer 21st", the signals for HD for the U.S. networks will move from Detroit to Buffalo.

The change is required by the CRTC.

I haven't seen the changes in my neighbourhood, anybody else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 12:27 PM
Veteran

I hope this is TO only. The Detroit HD stations are relatively stable. Why would the CRTC want to make changes. Will this affect bandwidth. It this just Rogers or satellite as well
post #3 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

deleted some posts because I edited the title. I assume this is GTA only since it only applies to markets where Buffalo is the local U.S. network affiliates.
post #4 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 02:27 PM
Veteran

WIVB-HD still has all kinds of problems with audio dropouts and video freeze-ups on certain shows. There are many customers who will not be happy about this.
post #5 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

thenewdc, there is absolutely nothing Rogers can do about this one.

I recommend members contact the CRTC and/or the station if problems arise.
post #6 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

posts deleted. Can we please stop with the CRTC sucks comments. They add nothing to this thread and they're tiresome.

If you wish to discuss CRTC policies then please use the What's On TV forum or the General Digital and Cable forum.

I'm tired of the hijacking of threads and constant "CRTC sucks" comments. If you have nothing to contribute then please don't post.
post #7 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Actually Rogers will probably pull WNLO-DT's signal for CBS-HD as that signal is completely stable from what I've been told. It's my understanding that WNLO-DT is broadcasting CBS-HD too because of the problems with WIVB-DT's signal.
post #8 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 05:55 PM

In K-W we've never had detroit stations (uh, other than the HD channels obviously! , it's always been Buffalo, so is it safe to say that we'll get the change too?

I'm not entirely concerned either way as long as the quality is roughly the same.

Toshiba 62HM84 | SA 8300HD | HD-DVD/Blu-ray HTPC | XBox360 | Playstation 3
Denon AVR-2807 | URC MX-650
post #9 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 06:17 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
When I record something on these (major US) networks, I usually use the Seattle channels

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

nathan, I imagine you will get Buffalo, however, I got a card in the mail telling me this.

Did anyone else get the card?
post #11 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 06:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
nathan, I imagine you will get Buffalo, however, I got a card in the mail telling me this.

Did anyone else get the card?
I didn't ... I assume that I won't have been switched over then ... (ha, ha ....).

Nick
post #12 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 07:22 PM

Got the card today and I'm disappointed. It means the loss of a choice of other football games, and the possibility now of simsubbing on HD, the same as on analog.

I've got OTA by antenna, and just to provide more HD content, bought an SA3250HD from Rogers.
post #13 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 07:28 PM
JCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrac
Got the card today and I'm disappointed. It means the loss of a choice of other football games, and the possibility now of simsubbing on HD, the same as on analog.

I've got OTA by antenna, and just to provide more HD content, bought an SA3250HD from Rogers.
It's Sep 22nd, the changes have not occured.
post #14 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 10:41 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL
It's Sep 22nd, the changes have not occured.
Unfortunately ... I see NBC Detroit messed up their HD signal yet again. I haven't had reason to watch this channel since May ... but I'm recording ER right now, and guess what ... letterobox and pillarbox again ... guess I should record off CTV! Big huge graphic warning about the weather too ...

Personally, I'd prefer to see the local stations anyways. It's a shame to lose some of the non-network programming ... but we all knew that this would be temporary until the local stations got their HD going properly ...

Could be worse ... could be living in Buffalo ... they don't even get the Seattle HD stations on cable there! Nor the Canadian, AFAIK.

Nick
post #15 of 333 (permalink) Old 2005-09-22, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfitz
Unfortunately ... I see NBC Detroit messed up their HD signal yet again. I haven't had reason to watch this channel since May ... but I'm recording ER right now, and guess what ... letterobox and pillarbox again ...
I assume it was that way because of the weather bug. AFAIK, they (as in that station) don't have HD overlay capabilities, and as such, have to resort to a 4x3 signal at such time.

Not saying that that's always the reason, but in this case, it's fairly forgivable.

Toshiba 62HM84 | SA 8300HD | HD-DVD/Blu-ray HTPC | XBox360 | Playstation 3
Denon AVR-2807 | URC MX-650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.