What is likelyhood of a Rogers STB becoming defective and still receive channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What is likelyhood of a Rogers STB becoming defective and still receive channels

My parents have been struggling with Rogers cable reception problems for almost a year now, close to 10 months of on and off reception issues.

The problem happened when MANY channels come in as black screen, majority of them worked. My parents did what they were suppose to, call and have a tech come out and check the line and boxes. The tech determined there was indeed a problem WITH THE LINE but another crew had to fix it. My parents had to put up with the problem for a little while longer until the crew fixed the outside problem, When my parents checked, more channels had come in but there was still a lot of chanenls they watch were coming in black screen. My mom was curious to know why cnn on her bedroom tv came in and cnn on her downstairs tv did not, and I had quickly pointed out that the upstairs was CNN STANDARD DEFINITION and the mail tv room was the HD feed so they were likely different frequencies, and the problem was affecting the frequency the HD box which is the one they watch often.

Called again and Another tech came in, twiddled some wires, put new connectors, changed drop amp, and most channels worked but funny how when he left they went back to black. finally another tech comes in, puts attenuator on the stb, and the channels come back and start working for a few more weeks, then suddenly more channels stoppd working and went black. My parents frustrated called another tech, he came back and after 3 hours of fiddling, he said it is their hd stb which is broken. Can this be possible the hdstb is not working properly? he even tried his own stb and it worked and when he swapped back theirs, the channels were not working. does this have to do with the tuner starting to go? can this be fixed? the guy recommended buying a new stb which is costly, or renting one which they are not doing so it will be an added cost for them, theyre retired on a fixed income.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 05:56 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
These sorts of issues are almost always related to signal strength. Some STBs require less signal to tune - that's why sometimes another box works, or a new box works, but will usually fail in a few days if the signal is poor. Check the signal yourself on the affected channels at the affected times:

Re: Nextbox 3.0 PVR Skips: Recorded Playback Only - Rogers Community

57 FAQ - Tips For SA (Cisco) STBs. (also Pace)

I highly doubt that the box is "defective" on those channels, rather the signal is too high or too low in the home or in the neighbourhood. If the issue is intermittent, it can be difficult to solve, but if the issue is constant any decent tech should be able to solve the issue.

If you measure the signal yourself, you can tell them... If the signal is "good", then I don't know what to add. Perhaps swap the one box in the home with the other box in the home to see if they work properly in the other location.

Quote:
...changed drop amp, and most channels worked but funny how when he left they went back to black. finally another tech comes in, puts attenuator on the stb...
Are you saying there's an amp and an attenuator? That doesn't make sense... Try removing the amp if you've got a good enough signal after measuring it per my links.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, I have checked the signal when I was there last time, everything was in the "optimal" range, and one tech added the attenuation on the box it made a world of a difference. These are brand new RG6 cable runs that I did myself professional and tested professionally when I was working as Cable Technician, not for Rogers but for commercial and enterprise installs. I triple and quadruple checked all my runs they are optimal using the highest quality cables I could obtain at the time, all the terminations were good, even the rogers tech commented on how nice the cable runs are, it was fished thru the walls and floor properly. Its weird cus I believe the tech quite possibly left a "note" on the account that the box is defective and it might be difficult for my parents to get another tech sent out. its basically our word vs theirs.

Bell Satellite TV, 9400 HD PVR, 65 Inch LED TV, Smart Blue Ray Player, No sound system.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-03, 08:21 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Just because everything inside the home is hunky dory, it doesn't mean there aren't problems in the neighbourhood. You may want to check the signal on the affected channels next time you're there, if they're black again. What's the make/model of the problem STB?

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes I will check them, I did remember checking them in the past and the levels were all in the good range. By the way, I did mention the tech took out a replacement box from his truck, instaled it at the same TV and all the channels work, he showed them this and confirmed it was the box. How likely is a box to go bad receiving signal? i have never heard of that in my time.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 11:23 AM

I have not heard of a box behaving in this way. I also mentioned in a previous post that a different or new box may work because it may need less signal to function. This is why people often swap out a rental box, it works for a few days and the problem returns because it's the signal, not the box.

I also recommended swapping around the boxes in the home as a test, although that may not be a good indicator either since the problem box may not get enough signal at the other location.

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-04, 11:34 PM
Veteran

It is possible for a receiver to go out of spec and not pick up some channels. However, just swapping boxes for one that works is not sufficient prof that that the other is bad. Unfortunately, Rogers has walked away from doing customer receiver repairs (and every customer who purchased their overpriced receivers) so it's difficult to ascertain.

At the prices they charge, purchasing a new (or possibly refurbished used as Rogers decides) receiver from Rogers is not a good option. Buying a working used receiver from someone else may be a lot cheaper. Rogers may also offer a free rental. Last year they were offering a free PVR rental for two years with a two year commitment. I was recently able to negotiate a free HD receiver rental for one year when one failed.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 07:54 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I was recently able to negotiate a free HD receiver rental for one year when one failed.
I got a Nextbox 3 when they first got out an had the free rental then own after 3 years deal. When it failed recently, Rogers swapped it for a Nextbox 4K at no cost

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

they are not willing to budge for my parents who have pleanty of services with rogers and spend a lot of money. The tech showed them the box, but woudl not swap it to their account for free said he would only do it if they agree to the rental, $12.99 I believe because it was the non pvr. but he would not keep their old box cus it was ORP, my parents owned it.
If they are willing to budge for some customers but not others than that is not good. It sucks that they don't have an extended warranty program like Bell has for their satellite dish

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 01:53 PM

I had a problem with my HD8300 which can receive the channels, but some of them slurs in sound and picture. The tech said it is defective. So, I put it away for a few months, and decided to take a look into to see if there are any defective capacitors. I opened the case, and discover the motherboard was covered with a thick layer of dust. I vacuumed it, and plug it in, everything works like new. If you have a chance, you might want to peek inside, as dust weakens or kills the signals.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 02:09 PM
Veteran

@Paolo . I had to negotiate very aggressively, to the point of being transferred to retentions. Even then, I was surprised that they only offered 1 year's free rental on a receiver. A year earlier, they offered 2 years free rental on a PVR. They also offered a $10/mo discount and 2 years free warranty on our existing PVR with a 2 year commitment. That may explain why some people get replacements and not others.

Offers change from month to month. The best time to negotiate a deal is in the late spring or early summer since new subscriptions are at a low. If all else fails, threaten to cancel and see what retentions will offer. Don't know what is available right now but Shaw and Bell were giving away PVRs and receivers just a few months ago. If you want a replacement receiver and a better deal, cite competing offers to retentions.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 02:22 PM

All good advice IF the box is actually defective. If not, you'll have "wasted a bullet" and still have issues.

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 04:50 PM
Veteran

I agree but it sounds like the OP has exhausted all other options with Rogers. Not to belittle Rogers techs, the ones I have met are great, but there are limits to what they can do in the field. A new receiver or new provider may be the best options left.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well I tested it myself today, tried the channels that were giving them problems, channels were black screen put diagnostic mode, and saw the signal was very poor, in the not good range, and tried changing channels, and the other channels were getting very good signal, the levels were optimal in the diagnostics screen. Tried a box from another room at this location, and the box worked great no problems with channels or signal levels, so yeah maybe it is leading me to believe their box has some kind of partial fault with it. Replacing the box ORP and renting a new one is out of the question. Going to look to see how they can save some money possibly change providers or so. Antenna is out of the question because my dad watches Italian channels and soccer and they obviously don't have RAI on Antenna, so that is why Antenna is out of the question

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 2017-11-05, 11:12 PM

I'd love to see what the spectrum scans of the various outlets feeding the different stb's! Whenever I would go to calls like this(was a shaw tech), it would almost always end up being something stupid that previous techs just didn't care to comprehend or were too lazy to trace.

a spectrum graph will show what "pilot levels"(the extremely basic quick-check that most techs are only familiar with) does not: non-linearities need to be viewed from a wide spectrum.
A backwards splitter or kinked (or impaled) cable WILL pass signal, and maybe even all the pilot channels, but when you look on a real graph, it's all wavy up and down with massive peaks and valleys where signal strength should be steady across, perhaps tilting downward on long cables.

Keep complaining, and use words like "cancel service" and "refund" and even "better business bureau". Demand a "supervisor" or "senior tech" attend the residence.

when the right tech finally takes the time to solve the issues, ensure that their good service be praised in writing(email), as well as the poor previous service techs be shamed in writing. This helps everyone in your town

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.