Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers launching wireless cable boxes?

15K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Was poking around my NB3's service menus, and saw something I haven't seen before.

Under 'Services', there appears to be a new entry....'WiFi Summary' and it has entries for access point information and up to 4 clients.

Is Rogers finally joining Bell in the wireless Tv space? Is this going to be part of their IPTV service?

Let the rampant speculation begin

#3 ·
I just switched from Bell Fibe back to Rogers. During the install I asked the guy if they were planning on a wireless box like Bell's "TV Anywhere". He said no, that technology is just too flaky. I told him that I was actually quite impressed with how well it worked (better than their WiFi for sure) and he said for every installation where it works well, there are several with issues. Maybe he was just regurgitating company propaganda or maybe he was right and I was lucky. But in any case it did not sound like this was something Rogers was pursuing.

#8 ·
Rogers does all their NextBox IP stuff over RG6 coax using MoCA. That include Whole Home, VOD and the channels that already are already IP based. There is no provision on the box for a WiFi antenna and it's a metal box so enabling built in WiFi is not likely. There is a LAN port but it's not used for anything (at least not at the consumer end.) USB WiFi dongles would be problematic so I don't see Rogers going that route.

The IPTV that was announced will likely be app and browser based, similar to the VOD and Shomi services that are already available. Considering what Rogers is already doing, it would be easy to add a few live TV streams over the same protocols.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.