Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Ontario Digital Cable Programming, Pricing and Packages Discussion

92K views 304 replies 70 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Packages

Hi guys,

I am on a non-commitment package (TV, Internet, Cell) and am thinking of possibly upgrading. Couple of questions:

- when did Rogers switch back to 2-year terms? Like I said, currently I do not have any commitment (other than 30-days cancellation).

- do package prices on Rogers website include tax, or is that extra? I wasn't able to figure that out from their website.

- if you go on a 2-year contract, is the price guaranteed for the duration on the term?

Thanks!

#3 ·
most discounts have been on Term (1-3) for the last 5+ years as far as I have been aware.. for any term discounts I have been able to receive.
(there may be some rare exceptions)

Tax is always extra ontop of the listed pricing.

As far as I am aware? No, its not guaranteed... at least partially. IE: If say your are on the VIP at that time for TV, and a newer type of VIP comes out which is $10 more, no you wouldn't be switched to that new one and pay more. BUT if there is a yearly $2 increase across the board.. then yes that would generally apply to the pricing.

Generally, the stuff listed on the website, are for NEW customers.. not always available to existing one.
But sometimes are not that super great. Often a discount of X amount on something, for the first X months or year.. but FULL price for the remaining.. while still on the contract.

But call in, there are often OTHER promotions that are sometimes available.. sometimes BETTER than whats listed.
EG: Currently I am on 25% off tv/phone/internet across the board.. ends up being more than vs the other way normally listed.
(and in those cases.. during the 2 year, yes I would have to pay the $2 say yearly increase if it happens, but the 25% would then still apply on the new price.

#5 ·
I'm about to change my package ... something I've neglected to do for an embarrassingly long time.
I'm going from Digital VIP for tv ----- 80gb Express for internet ---and middle tier phone) .... all moved to ''Bundle 2" TV ,internet and phone.

My only concerns are with the hardware that I will or might have to get.
IF I am able to choose is there a general consensus about what to get ? Or perhaps more importantly what to stay away from ?
I currently have the DCP3825 and Nextbox 3 with extender.
thanks for any advice and for all the tips that I have been trying to read before I make the visit to Rogers store on Monday.

#6 ·
TV wise should be no change at all, same with phone.

Really the only thing would be internet.
For any of the in market plans, you would have to change your modem to the ADVANCED or ROCKET modem.
(practically the same thing for most purposes.. just the rocket has AC wireless, vs only N on the advanced.)

#12 ·
Interesting. I am on Rogers and out of those channels the only ones I EVER watch are: PBS,TVO,City and the Weather channel. So please can I have a really skinny basic for $10 and then there are four or five other channels I'll buy all year plus whatever channels show F1 but just for the season...although as I don't watch ANY other sport I'd be just as happy to pay for F1 as an ip stream as a separate thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#13 ·
I like the $0 "Shopping Channel" package Rogers has...guess nobody wants to pay for them, and they have to ask to get them - why not include them for free with the basic package?

I think Shaw has the better packages for me at the moment - the sports packages are expensive ($18 each) on Rogers.

See what Bell and Cogeco have available...

#21 ·
I like the $0 "Shopping Channel" package Rogers has...guess nobody wants to pay for them, and they have to ask to get them - why not include them for free with the basic package?...
Skinny basic can only include the specialty channels that are on the CRTC mandatory list. Those shopping channels are actually advertising channels and are probably free to Rogers. I've heard rumours that TSC actually pays cable companies for channel placement.

#14 ·
It's just more of the same old ripoff. We must order 6 theme packs at a cost of $50 to get 10 specialty channels that we want. At that price, there are no significant savings to be had. $10/10 channel theme packs are too large, especially when only one channel in them is wanted.

As it stands, the only reason we would want Skinny Basic alone is because CTV and Global do not service London adequately. They never have and, under the currently incorrect technical and coverage guidelines, probably never will. 2-edge coverage for the average core London city home does not cut it but IC and the CRTC seem to think it does.

#18 ·
@57 I got this box ages ago (when it first came out, I think) and can't quite recall if I originally had to pay a monthly "PVR fee".

Here's what I'm paying now:
Digital VIP Cable * $73.99
Digital Services Fee $2.99
NHL Centre Ice $0.00
HDTV Channel Pak $0.00
HDTV Specialty Channel Package $9.95
Customer Choice Package $19.02

No doubt I'll lose the free Centre Ice with skinny but you're saying I can replace the $73.99, $9.95, and $19.02 charges with a $24.99 charge and keep the PVR capabilities?

#19 ·
#22 ·

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm considering returning to Rogers after cutting the cord 5 years ago - I moved and my new neighbourhood has very poor OTA reception... So I was eagerly waiting details on the new "skinny basic"...

Now I am perplexed - Rogers has had a "Lite TV" option all these years that includes Canadian networks, US 4+1 and a few specialty channels, but due to the CRTC requirements they now have a skinny basic that offers less but costs more? What am I missing here? Does anyone have a list of the "Lite TV" channels?

#28 ·
Now I am perplexed - Rogers has had a "Lite TV" option all these years that includes Canadian networks, US 4+1 and a few specialty channels, but due to the CRTC requirements they now have a skinny basic that offers less but costs more? What am I missing here? Does anyone have a list of the "Lite TV" channels?
I don't know when Rogers first offered it, but I have had the Rogers Lite TV package since Nov 2, 2013.

I can't find a complete list of the Lite TV channels posted online. See the link posted earlier in this thread for a rough summary of the channels.

The Lite TV package has been adequate for me and I agree that it will likely no longer be available from Rogers starting March 1.

To date, Rogers has not advised me as to the status of my Lite TV subscription, only that it is going up by $1/month with my next billing.

#27 ·
I was actually adding everything up last night if we were to switch to the 'skinny' packs, it would cost an extra $20 a month to get the packages with the channels we actually watch and of course we would still be paying for a bunch of channels we don't. The way I figure it is that you block the channels you don't watch and create your own skinny package, chances are your paying less with more channels you DON'T watch .. good old Rogers land.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Rogers New TV Packaging Options

Here are the new packaging options from Rogers, in advance of the March 1st CRTC deadline requiring cable and satellite providers to offer a skinny basic package:

http://redboard.rogers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Starter-Packages-Feb-24-2016.pdf

Rogers' skinny basic package is called Starter Package, which is $24.99 per month AND includes US locals. The link also includes their new theme pack options.