Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers On-Demand Issues Discussion

21K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
I don't watch much ROD, however, I was trying to catch up on one thing this week and couldn't access certain programming on ROD, or TMN-OD (to which I subscribe).

I called in and used the callback feature - very pleasant to be able to use this - and learned the following:

1. In November, Rogers rolled out new firmware that was supposed to allow you to watch an OD programme ordered on one box in your house on all boxes in the home. Apparently before you could only watch on the box that ordered the programme...

2. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly and has caused various issues.

3. If you have difficulties with OD, you need to reboot your STB and do not go to OD immediately upon completion of the reboot. Watch a few different channels for a few minutes. Then you may be able to access OD programming (it didn't work for me and the agent said it works for most people).

4. I'm surprised this hasn't been reported here, but perhaps it only affects people with several STBs, or people simply put it down as another Rogers issue.

5. New firmware to address this problem is to be rolled out in January and OD should work properly again then. I'll probably wait until then to try OD again...

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello,
By "3. If you have difficulties with OD, you need to reboot your STB and do not go to OD immediately upon completion of the reboot. Watch a few different channels for a few minutes. Then you may be able to access OD programming (it didn't work for me and the agent said it works for most people)."

Is this the "undefined" error? Or the <former> inability to run a playlist past the first few movies?
<former> Meaning Before the *NEW* Navigatr

#3 ·
I'm not sure if I read your question correctly. I was having issues with some of the ROD programming. Specifically I couldn't see the free Stingray Music Videos. I got a message something like "server problems". When I couldn't view Stingray videos, I tried several other "ROD (And TMNOD) tiles" to see what I could and couldn't see. I could view about ½ of what I tried in terms of OD movies, TV series, etc. and at that point after trying about 10 different titles, I called to see if the problem could be rectified - the answer was "sort of" and that's when I posted above. I tried again a few weeks later with the same results (doesn't work for me) and I'm now waiting until late January to try again.

I'm currently still on the RTN firmware and have not yet been infected with Navigatr, so I'll wait until I'm infected to try ROD. ;)

#4 ·
Thank you for replying.
(I have NB 3.0)

I had 2 issues (before the Navigatr Nightmare) (And they pale in comparison to the issues accompanying the "new improved" interface)

1. After rebooting, ANY VOD channel had empty icons and the word "UNDEFINED" on the bottom left.
The solution was to wait (according to Roger's phone support)

2. I used to create a playlist - 4 or 5 movies that were supposed to play in sequence (spontaneously).
Aside from shomi (which would freeze), the other VODs would usually play the movies or the series episodes etc.

Then suddenly, (I guess coinciding with the firmware you mention)
The 1st movie would play and maybe 1/2 of the second or it would just stop at the end of the 1st movie... (Server errors)
Apparently both were known issues.

I don't bother with this anymore since the NAVIGATR "up"grade because no matter what, the BOX shuts off after 3 hours to conserve energy. (The TV stays on).
If you are glued to your set, you may catch the warning "dialogue" (statement) (grey on grey) stating that the energy saving feature is going to shut off the box in x number of minutes OR seconds unless you hit okay - Which is difficult if you are
A) sleeping
B) Trying to sleep (listening to a movie as background - white noise)
C) cannot find the remote....

One cannot disable, edit or do anything else about this new feature, one of the many that come with the "New Improved" Navigatr.

:wink

#8 ·
Sorry for taking long to reply. The catalogue error was right after last week's update. I unplugged and rebooted but was still unable to access On Demand. Then did what I read here, rebooted and waited half an hour, and it seems to be working fine now.

#7 ·
I have been getting numerous VOD errors the last couple of days as well. It's nothing new but it's a huge waste of time. Rogers VOD has rarely worked well here. Shows often quit half way through with an error or simply refuse to play.

Then there is the annoying "update" that resets the selection process back to the start every time I try to access VOD. Even worse is that the error dialog loses focus, requiring the box to be powered off and on.

#9 ·
I have been without all the OD services since November (TMNOD, ROD, etc). The reason given for the issue is that Rogers loaded new firmware to STBs in November that was to allow watching OD from the various STBs in your home, rather than just the one you started on. In typical Rogers fashion, this didn't work properly. A fix was due in January for those people affected. Not everyone was affected I guess because the download didn't get to every box, or perhaps it only affects homes with more than one STB.

Anyway, I called Rogers a few days ago since it still wasn't fixed. The issue was escalated to IT at Rogers and Rogers called back a day later saying they needed more info from me - why I don't know. I called back and they again tried various "hits" to my 9865. I also have two 8300HDs exhibiting the same issue, so I know for a fact it's not my 9865. Since they couldn't get it to work remotely, they sent a technician today. As expected, the technican could also do nothing since this is what's called a "White Board" issue, known by Rogers affecting a huge number of people. The reference number for those interested is PT00084855. You may wish to quote it if you call in about your OD issue.

I was quite upset to learn this because it was a waste of my time and the technician's time to come to my home when there was obviously nothing to be done at this end. I called back, complained, and got a small credit for my "trouble". The CSR was really nice and understood completely. I also always mention at least one or two Navigatr issues when talking to the CSRs so they can note that as part of the call.

Good luck to anyone with OD issues.

PS. I have used the call-back feature several times in the past few months regarding this issue and it works well.

PPS. On my 9586 I was getting "Catalog Error 835MC". On my 8300HDs - CMOD55001.

#10 ·
Even though I was promised this would be fixed in 24-48 hours, it has not been fixed. I called back today (using the callback feature) and requested compensation. I did get minor compensation, but it wasn't very much.

The CSR says it's still an open ticket and they don't really have an ETA for a fix.

#11 ·
when rogers calls back within 24-48 hrs to say they needed more information from you, it means the agent who took your issue to escalate the ticket to network engineering, did not his job properly. a ticket gets violated if it does not have all the requirements, as documented by the ticket requirements database which the agent should be referencing when building your ticket. that is the reason why you got the "we need more info" robocall.

agents should also not be promising you that the issue will be resolved in 24-48 hrs. the 24-48 hr time frame is when you should expect an update, meaning instead of the issue being fixed for sure in that time, rogers guarantees that they will get to your ticket within that timeframe. although sometimes that is missed as well.

for both undefined, and #835MC, on navigatr, you need to reboot your box through the troubleshooting menu and wait up to 30 minutes before accessing any SDV channels or any ROD channels. if you don't know which channels are SDV in your area, staying below channel 60 is a pretty good bet. after 30 minutes, it will work... for over 90% of customers facing this issue.

the permanent fix will be rolled out later this year

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. I've had the "we need more info" robocall probably 10 times over the years for various issues. It really bugs me when I supplied them all necessary info and nothing new is accomplished when I call back.

I've tried the "reboot-wait" recommendation several times. It has not worked for me, despite it supposedly working for many people. During the last tech visit in February, we tried it again.

If I'm in a pinch and absolutely need to get something on ROD I can do it with my computer - that works. I'm only using about 1/4 of my cap.

Another month has gone by, perhaps I'll call and see if I can get another small credit.

#13 ·
Since a month has passed since my last call to Rogers I called them again today. Here is a summary:

1. OD issues have been affecting some people since November when Rogers downloaded some problem firmware to allow for OD to work on all STBs in the home, not just the one that ordered the programme.

2. It's continuing to affect some people, mostly with 9865 (NB3) STBs.

3. It's a known issue (Catalog Error 835MC) that they are "working on" with no ETA for a fix.

4. Some people have got it working by swapping the STB.

5. Some people have got it working by rebooting and waiting some period of time - Rogers suggests one hour - before trying to get OD.

Keep calling in so they don't forget about us.

If there's something I absolutely need to catch up on, I do so via the web version of OD since I'm not near my download cap.

Watch TV Online - Free Streaming TV Shows Online

#14 ·
I'm having a "new" On Demand issue. It's not the Catalog Error. Now when I load on Demand and go to one of the menus (eg. CTV) it just shows "Loading...." and nothing happens. Sometimes it locks the screen during this process (causing me to reboot).
this has been happing on my parents' Nextbox 2 (non PVR) almost daily. Now today it happened on both that and my newer Nextbox3 PVR.
Signal issue?

#17 ·
I just switched back to Rogers (from Bell Fibe) last Wednesday. Had the catalog error (#835MC) ever since, after multiple calls and various actions on their end and countless reboots on mine. After the 4th call they offered me a $20 credit. I hope those who have been in this situation since November get at least that, and retroactively. Or ask for unlimited internet cap (if you don't already have it).

As a s/w guy it really makes me wonder what could be happening that affects only *some* setups and has persisted across a major firmware upgrade (RTN to Navigatr). I wonder if it could actually be a network issue of some sort (and not a s/w issue as the CSR tried to explain to me).

#18 ·
I don't know what the problem is BUT I can tell you my experience. Rogers gave me a free NB 3.0 about 2 months ago...ROD worked fine...but had other problems (really loud). Swapped it for another box, ROD again worked fine...still had other problems. Swapped it for box #3, ROD had the catalogue error that you refer to. Phoned Rogers and screamed at them...they sent a tech out and he kept swapping out boxes until he got one that did work properly...i.e. the ROD works fine now...no catalogue errors. The tech said it could possibly be that bad code is on some boxes?? My suggestion to you would be to try swapping boxes...also on my old NB 2.0 I have never had the catalogue error. Very strange.

#19 ·
Geez, how many boxes did the tech have in his truck? In my case (and I found this very odd) the tech left without testing out anything but the phone. Did not leave any instructions, either, just told me to "google" if I had any questions. I don't disagree with him on that last part, actually, but it was odd since the last time (with Rogers and Bell) I had a stack of documentation left. The reason he did not test anything out was that the boxes were busy downloading all the updates (would be better if they could do that before they put them on the truck).

#20 ·
The tech went thru 4 boxes from his truck before he found one that would work. The first tech that installed the original box two weeks prior, did the install and ran like yours did (in some ways I can't blame them...I think I'd run too if I knew the odds of it working). I believe the 2nd tech that came out was a second level tech...seeing that the new free box was their way of compensating me for all the grief they've put me thru, and that I had already gone thru 3 free boxes with varying problems in under 2 weeks, I told them to send a tech that would install a box that worked...I told them if the tech left my house without everything working then my cable was to be disconnected that day...the choice was theirs.

The 2nd tech said that it was very important that it be set up in the correct order...ROD has to use internet...so you can't try the ROD until they set up EVERYTHING with their head office...he said sometimes there is a backlog and it can take the office 5-6 hours to get to it...if you try the ROD before they completely finish the install (which is a number of steps from different departments), you'll get the catalogue error and it's very hard for them to correct because the data's been corrupted. When he was here he had to wait and he finally got some kind of a high priority install from the office so that they could complete all the steps before he left.

And of course you have to wonder what they do with the half a dozen boxes that I went thru before they got one that works...

#21 ·
I get an error with OD as well. I have an 8300HD...older yes, but I bought it and it works fine. I get the error. Reboot. Able to use OD services. Once I am done and continue watching other TV and try to go to OD I get the same error. Reboot...works again.

I have to constantly reboot anytime I want OD services.

#22 ·
Well, ROD and Shomi still not working. Called them up and have a case number, now. They'll e-mail when there's any update on it. Not holding my breath.

So my plan for ordering HBO for one month half way through GoT (and catching up using On-Demand) is gone out the window. Will have to upgrade my Digital Plus to Extra with HBO/TMN for $14 extra for the full two months (actually 10 weeks -- not sure if that means I'll have to pay for 3 months). The $20 credit I got because ROD and Shomi is missing will cover that. I'll just have to make sure I insist on getting another $20 credit every month until this issue is resolved.

#23 ·
Just found out that my daughter has been watching Shomi (on channel 300, not tablet) the last couple mornings. Last time I tried (and failed) was last weekend so something has changed very recently. I tried on-demand (more specifically it was HBO-OD) just yesterday and it still gave me the same old catalog error. This was on the upstairs box; my daughter's been using the main PVR downstairs. I'll check the main PVR later today to see if ROD is working as well.

#27 ·
OK, so ROD now works on the main floor PVR. Or at least partially (I had a different error when trying to access Modern Family, but several other ones were fine).

Checked the upstairs box (4642) and the same problems persist on both ROD and Shomi. I've rebooted the upstairs box and will wait a half hour before trying again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.