Average Rogers Cable subscriber spends $60.47 / month - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Average Rogers Cable subscriber spends $60.47 / month

Rogers issued year end results this year. For 2008, the average Rogers cable customer spent $60.47 per month for cable television with 67% or about two out three cable customers subscribing to digital cable and 24% subscribing to HDTV.
  • Homes Passed - 3,547,000
  • Basic cable - 2,320,000
  • Digital Cable - 1,550,000
  • HDTV Subscribers 568,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-18, 08:03 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
It's not that long ago that "digital tv" was considered something exotic. Now 2 out of 3 customers are on digital -- at least one TV in the home is on a digital box. And almost of those 37% at Dec 31 were HD. I am guessing Jan/Feb sees a significant uptick in new HD subscribers ... so that means around 25% of all Rogers TV subscribers -- analog and digital -- are watching on HD.

That's pretty remarkable considering only a couple of years ago many of us here were bemoaning the lack of HD programming in prime time. Now we have services like Newsworld and CNN in HD -- who'da thunk? Not to mention HBO in HD and HD On Demand. The world is shifting under our feet.

It comes at a cost: the old Gerrold converter attached to the TV with a 20 foot cord we used to trip over may have brought us 30 channels of analog TV for under $20 in the late 1970s ... but I, personally, can't complain about the value I get for $60 today on my TV (and, with 2 HD sets, yes, I am paying more than "average"). Then again, a 1979 $20 paycheque doesn't buy today what it did when I had no grey hairs!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 07:34 PM
Veteran

I'm above average. My Rogers cable bill is just over $77 a month (taxes in). That's for "Extended Basic" and "Digital Mix Pack".

I don't think either is offered anymore.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-19, 10:45 PM

Extended Basic is still around; Digital Mix Pack is a Non Promoted service.. meaning if you have it, you'll keep it.. if you don't have it, you won't be able to add it.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-20, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Thanks for clarifying.

I made the statement because the other day while navigating the Rogers website (almost but not quite as terrible as Bell's website) I did a search on the term "extended basic" and all that came up was some jibberish about Rogers home phone.

What the heck is in the Digital Mix Pack that isn't already included in Extended Basic? I mean, it's $7 a month extra so I would expect something significant.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-20, 09:43 PM

I'll take a look when I am at work tomorrow to find out what's included with this Digital Mix Pack, if someone else hasn't posted a response yet.

I do agree it's rather hard to navigate the Rogers website, especially for something like Analogue cable.. it's best to call in or speak to an agent through live chat.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-21, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I'm above average. My Rogers cable bill is just over $77 a month (taxes in). That's for "Extended Basic" and "Digital Mix Pack".
I imagine virtually everyone around here is higher because they all have digital or HDTV.

That $60.47 average is brought down by most of the 800,000 analog only subs
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 01:54 PM

That average can't be right. I have the sports pack and a pvr rental and I pay $150. Rogers is so overpriced !
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-24, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Of course its right. It was published in the company's financial results.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 10:01 AM
Veteran

So ace66, you subscribe to a premium sports package and rent a high-end digital box, and are complaining that you pay too much for these premium services? Why not drop them if you don't like what you pay?
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 10:05 AM
DHC Supporter

My wife and I are doing our part to drag the average down: We cancelled both our VIP cable and HD packages a while back and we've been paying just under $49/mo. (and saving roughly $25/mo.) ever since.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 10:14 AM

The Digital Mix pack includes BBC World, Movie Time, Gameshow Network, Much Vibe, Much Loud, Food Network (some areas) PBS Detroit (some areas) and Travel & Escape. That package went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-25, 10:24 AM

I guess I just like my sports way too much I should probably ditch the movie network too.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-02-27, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck123 View Post
The Digital Mix pack includes BBC World, Movie Time, Gameshow Network, Much Vibe, Much Loud, Food Network (some areas) PBS Detroit (some areas) and Travel & Escape. That package went the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.
Aaaand I currently watch.... NONE of those channels.

Thanks for the info. Time for a phone call. I've been pissing away that $7 a month for far too long.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 2009-03-01, 08:12 AM
Veteran

So I finally called Rogers and spoke briefly to "Emily" or "Roberta" or whatever the voice recognition system is and got connected to a live CSR.

Asked to have the Digital Mix Pack removed. He said "not a problem" and advised me that doing so means I could never have it back (since the pack is no longer available and I was grandfathered). I said "yup" and the deed was done. Took less than 5 minutes from beginning to end.

About an hour later I got an e-mail from Rogers advising me of the change I had made and included attachments about my new channel line up and what my next bill would look like.

I'm impressed. Maybe I got lucky but it seems like they're trying harder.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.