Pixelation on new hd tv with non-hd (3200) digital... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-02-03, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Pixelation on new hd tv with non-hd (3200) digital...

We have digital cable with Rogers. My mom has a non-hd digital box and used to have a newish Sony tube tv. The picture was perfectly fine...no complaints.

Then my brother bought her a new Sony flat screen hd-tv and her picture is now terrible...often very pixelated. Every show or commercial is different. It seems the lower the budget on the commercial, the worse the look. Sports looks terrible to me..I would have thought the picture quality would be better for sports but perhaps it's the fast movement. The pixelation is particularly noticeable when it's on the guide channel with the tv show still showing in the little box in the top right hand corner..terrible, terrible pixelation...would also think that a smaller picture would be clearer. We've tried every setting we can find on the tv...no luck.

Before I run out and get her hooked up with hd, which she doesn't particularly want, is there anything else we should try?

Sony KDL32L4000 32" High Definition LCD TV
Rogers 3200 Digital Cable Box
Scientific Atlanta

My brother hooked it up...probably with the impressive looking av cables included with my hd box.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by 57; 2009-02-03 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Retail link removed, per forum rules.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-02-03, 02:27 PM
You might try the various connections available (coax, s-video, composite -- whichever ones you aren't using now) to see if there is any difference. SD channels very often don't look very good when converted to HD for display on your TV -- it depends a lot on the processing capability of your TV.

With my HD box, I have set it up to automatically upconvert SD channels to 1080i before sending them to my TV.

EDIT: is this something that the digital comb filter helps with? I note that you have to be using composite for it to kick in. I use composite-in to watch SD channels sometimes and it sometimes looks a little less pixellated (depending on the channel).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-02-03, 03:04 PM
Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
See the following post on SD PQ on HDTVs:

FAQ - Why Does My HDTV Have Poor SD Picture Quality?

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-02-09, 03:51 AM
Service calls are free. Call Rogers and have someone come check it out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.