I was promised a hdmi cable - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I was promised a hdmi cable

I know that Rogers never provides a hdmi cable for a new hdtv connection, but when I was confirming the order over phone, I asked whether rogers will provide hdmi cable during installation, the agent did say that they will provide...but on the day of the installation I never got one...what are my options shall i call rogers? (I do not know the name of the agent/nor do I have a order no)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:22 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, SA8300HD + 640GB external drive. Samsung LCD LN40A750 1080p 120Hz. Blu-Ray BD-P1500
What is "a new hdtv connection" from Rogers? Do you mean that you got an HD tuner box or PVR from Rogers? AFAIK, Rogers supplies just component cables with their boxes, as they do not officially support HDMI. Like many other Rogers customers here, I simply bought an HDMI cable myself to connect the PVR to my TV.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:31 AM

you were likely talking with someone who had no idea (which is sad these days) but many people don't know everything about HD yet, who likely though you were talking about HD cables.

rogers doessn't even have them to my knowledge.

they are like 5-10$ these days bought at the right plce, if you want to try and yell and scream for so little by all means, but as you said you were already aware that it didn't have it so...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 12:02 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Rogers fully supports HDMI; in earlier years they did not. They even sell HDMI cable kits in their Video stores at prices comparable to the big box stores. The kits include 1 or 2 HDMI cables and various adapters and extras for DVI, etc. HDMI cables are not provided with hardware rental or purchase.

You do want to get an HDMI cable -- I don't know about $5-10 (mail order?) but I have seen them in the $20ish range, again in the big box stores; shorter lengths are cheaper and, as this is all digital, they either work or don't work so don't be fooled and buy the more expensive ones.

But do get one: it replaces five cables (3 video, 2 audio) and, once plugged in, you're done.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 02:00 PM

yeah, i've seen them that low at some online stores.

I laugh at the folks who pay 50-100$ for them
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks!..i just wanted your opinion, will buy one(the <=$20 ofcourse
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Rogers fully supports HDMI; in earlier years they did not.
Just a couple of months ago, I had a Rogers technician come to my place to check some of the issues I reported. He wanted me to unplug the HDMI cable from the box, and connect my TV through component video cables instead, to see if the problems will remain. His explanation was that Rogers DOES NOT officially support HDMI connection. Of course the problem had nothing to do with either HDMI, or component cables, but that's a different story.

With regards to HDMI cable replacing multiple video and audio cables, that is generally true, of course, but keep in mind that if you use only 1 HDMI cable between your box and the TV, you most likely will not have surround sound, the way it should be (coming from a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver and distributed to your surround sound speakers). Something like a combination of 2 HDMI cables and an appropriate receiver, or 1 HDMI cable and 1 either optical, or coaxial digital audio cable, plus a receiver, might be a better solution, to get that desired home theatre effect.

IMHO, the difference in picture quality between HDMI and component video connection is only marginal. I'd still say that the HDMI connection gives a somewhat clearer (brighter) picture, but that is barely noticeable.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 07:15 AM

I also was going to use HDMI to connect my PVR to the TV but since I already had component from the box to the TV I wasn't sure if the expense was worth it. I bought a cable and compared between HDMI and component and didn't see much of a difference. So I kept the component cables for the PVR but used the HDMI between my DVD player and TV. HDMI is necessary for upconverting. Since I also have a 5.1 sound system, the DVD player is programmed so that the HDMI only passes video.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 07:56 PM

I get my cables at Monoprice, never had a problem with them and super cheap
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 10:32 AM

Inexpensive cable

You can also get inexpensive HDMI cables at Active Surplus Electronics, 347 Queen ST W, Toronto.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 10:50 AM
Rookie

I thought the whole point of HDMI is that it also carries audio. If you are just using it for video, there is no reason to switch from component.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 11:31 AM

Guzuta, to upconvert on your DVD player you need to use HDMI cables. You can't upconvert using any other cables.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.