Moving, question about suspending my account - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-15, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Moving, question about suspending my account

So we might be moving soon, hopefully have sold our place.

We have Shaw internet/phone/tv.

We don't know when we will find our permanent home and when. It could be a few weeks or a couple of months. In the meantime we would be living with the inlaws.

Of course we want to keep our email going, we can access from the internet. But what about our account? Can it be suspended until we buy a house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-15, 02:38 PM
Veteran

Yes, I believe it can. My Mom-in-law snowbirds and has done just that for a small monthly fee ($9.95)?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-15, 03:42 PM

Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Shaw Cable, DCT6416 III, Samsung PN50C550 50" Plasma, Harman-Kardon AVR247
You can have your email accounts transferred to a friend's or relative's account indefinitely and at no charge. When you're ready, just have them transferred to your new account. You can access your email using WebMail.
When you call Shaw to have that done, you need both parties available so they can confirm account info, etc. I did this last year and Shaw doesn't have a problem with it.

My User Name has NOTHING to do with the NHL package!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-15, 04:29 PM
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400
If you have phone services you may want to snowbird that as well. If you cancel then you will not be able to get that number back. Snowbirding allows you to keep email and even voicemail active. You just need a return date and that date can be changed with at least a week or 2 notice.

Designated Shaw Employee representative for Cable & Digital Cable for Digital Home Forums.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-15, 06:58 PM

I was hoping for something that would tug at my heart strings when you said this would be a moving question, but I guess I misread it. Out of curiosity, is that what Shaw's internal term is for that sort of thing: "Snowbirding"?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-15, 07:05 PM
Veteran

Not that I know of. My reference was about a retiree heading south and suspending service for that duration.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-16, 12:09 PM
Veteran

Shaw calls it a Temporary Change In Service. (TCIS for short)

Designated Shaw Employee representative for Cable & Digital Cable for Digital Home Forums.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-16, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. We'll I'll just tell them what we are doing and they should be able to accomodate us. I'll like to keep the same number too.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-16, 01:52 PM

Give them a call they have the TCIS option for the winter and other reasons. You can keep email and Voicemail active and not lose your number.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-17, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Just talked to Shaw.

They will have to come and get our phone modem when we move. Since we are moving out of the area we cannot keep our current phone number.

My emails will go to another shaw users account.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-17, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Different area code? If not, I'm surprised that you cannot retain your number.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-12-18, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Calgary has 1 exchange for almost all of the city however several other areas have smaller exchange areas. For landline service if you are moving out of the exchange you cannot keep your phone number even with Telus from the info I have seen..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.