Introducing Shaw BlueSky TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 11:54 AM

I was just asking about it on the Shaw forum, and see that you beat them to the punch here.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 11:58 AM

Couldn't find anything about 4k in the links above, is that going to be an option?

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Hello, Shaw does not currently provide any 4K channels or services and thus isn't something that is supported at the moment, but it is part of our long term plans.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 03:05 PM

Just looked at pricing, after the intro offer expires, $208.00 a month for TV and internet.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 05:21 PM

Our Arris Gateway system seems to have finally reached a level of stability with mobile remote programming. Now I want to try X1.
Will X1 require all new hardware? Hope Shaw doesn't expect us all to pay big $ to upgrade to X1 compatible hardware.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 05:34 PM

That is my question as well, will Shaw be providing a path to upgrade from Gateway to X1 for folks that own their equipment?

Also Xfinity advertises with X1 you can download recorded content from your PVR to your device to watch later. All I see is shaw offering some kids programming for download through Free Range.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 05:37 PM

I don't see any option to buy equipment, it's included in the $208 a month.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 06:39 PM

I have Internet 150 and Premier TV now with my Gateway. 2 year contract for the Internet 150. We have 1 Gateway box and 3 portals which we own. Think Shaw would simply switch me over to X1 and include the hardware? I would welcome faster response on the guide along with the ability to quickly record 1 or 2 hours of TV without the guide, those are my major issues with the Arris Gateway these days. My Gateway is getting old so hard drive failure might not be too far off.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 07:09 PM

^
Probably when your two year contract is up. Ask on the Shaw forum.
Are you in Calgary? Looks like its only available there to start.
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-11, 09:10 PM
Rookie

Is this the same hardware as the newer Gateway XG1? Looks that way based on the pictures. If so is it just a software update?
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 03:03 AM

Hopefully this will give Freerange TV a boost they've added a couple more channels since launch but still a long ways to go.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

@buckycat the current promo that is for new customers is on the website and the one you saw.
There is no purchased BlueSky TV equipment its all offered in a 2-Year Value Plan.
@LD500 you will need new hardware for BlueSky TV the main box is an XG1v3 with RDK. There is an RDK tag on the back of the box to tell the difference. A quick way to identify a BlueSky TV box vs older devices we've provided is by the RDK label. BlueSky TV devices will include an RDK label on the back (left side) of the device. Older XG1V3s setup for MOXI will not have this label.
@magnet at the moment there is no upgrade path (for trading of equipment as an example). As there won't be any purchased equipment with BlueSky TV is not is simple process of exchanging. It would be similar when one upgrades to a new cell phone and terms, except in this case there isn't currently any discount or acceptance of changing/swapping equipment. Regarding, 'download recorded content from your PVR to your device to watch later' you're correct that is what Xfinity allows at the moment, it's important to stress that it could be that not all features of Xfinity will be the same in Canada but we are working through them and assessing. At the moment this is all that is available (kids).
@Canucks4life it really depends on broadcast rights, but we have the technology now to do more yes.
magnet likes this.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 04:14 PM

FYI.
Someone asked on the Shaw forum if external hard drives are supported with the new equipment and the answer was no. Wouldn't bother me much, but I know there is always lots of discussions on the forums about external HD so I assume lots of people use them
gzink likes this.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 2017-01-12, 04:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Exclamation

There are, sadly, many negatives with this latest offering. One is the limitation of not being able to add additional storage. One 'solution' to this is to add additional boxes, which is an apparent option, but what cost is there for this? Additionally, you would get more tuners so more channels could be recorded at the same time but you would still only gain an additional 500GB of storage.

There is a 'voice' operated remote but to make this work, all remote commands are run back to the 'mother ship'. This means that if your connection ever goes down, you can't even watch what you have already recorded on your local machine. I find this the most ridiculous part. If your box can't talk to the Shaw servers, you can't watch your recordings. It's almost like they don't want you watching TV if they can't find out what you are watching. Way too 'big brother' for me.

The fact that there are other wonderful features of the equipment that are 'possible' but not being offered yet is the same trick that was pulled on us with the Gateway system. Remember how DLNA was 'coming soon' yet never did show up? At least this time they aren't saying any of it will one day be offered and then coming up with an excuse as to why others have it with the exact same equipment yet it isn't 'up to Shaw's standards' when they decide not to offer it.

I won't be jumping on this band wagon, sorry. Caveat emptor.
RalphG, RickyCV, gzink and 1 others like this.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Tags
bluesky negatives , bluesky positives , bluesky tv , shaw cable , xg1 , xg1v3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.