Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable programming/pricing discussion

110K views 287 replies 73 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shaw Skinny TV

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6542

From the Shaw site it looks like they will be offering the skinny package, that they refer to as limited tv on Feb 16.

As of February 16, 2016, the minimum level of TV service offered to customers in BC is “Limited TV” – the package mandated by the CRTC and priced at $25.00/mo. As this will be the basis of the PST exemption for BC Cable TV customers moving forward, the billed amount of PST on your invoice will increase.

#9 ·
I would hope they would not do that but if so then move to Telus. My internet and home phone through Telus are cheaper than Shaw's and dead reliable. I await what will be included with Limited TV and if it does include the local PBS (Seattle) station then its good enough for me. Somehow I fear that it wont as Shaw knows how many loyal PBS viewers there are. If I am wrong I will be back to congratulate them. Right now Shaw TV is the only service I have with them and I have never been impressed with Optik but it remains an option at least.

#10 ·
Another interesting nugget. According to Shaw if you don't like the skinny basic and stay with Personal TV instead you will no longer get the PST exemption. So that is approx. another 3 dollars a month heading out of your wallet. Granted, not Shaws fault. If you are in BC then send a thank you note to Christy Clark. I understand she impersonates a Premier from time to time when there are no photo ops to be had.

#17 ·
So according to this site Sask Tels skinny basic was announced and no US channels. That would make it grossly overpriced . If the others follow suit ( I am betting they will) that means most will likely keep the basic package and
that will go up around 3 bucks due to the PST exemption being eliminated. It is so nice to wait all this time to see if
your cable bill will go down...and instead it goes up.

#18 ·
Shaw argued for keeping U.S. channels in Skinny Basic at the CRTC hearings, so they may include them.

Also, the PST exemption isn't being totally eliminated - see post 11. That also just applies to B.C. and only to cable TV - not satellite or IPTV. Makes you wonder ;) Someone must have convinced the B.C. government that Cable TV is one of the necessities of life like groceries and shouldn't be taxed. I'm pretty sure all the other provinces pay tax on the whole cable bill.

#23 ·
I'm looking on the website, Selected the bundle with their starter package. Personal TV, Internet 5, and Shaw Home Phone. Shaw Home Phone is 30 dollars a month. When I say is this available I mean is it available to new customers. It doesn't seem to be when I go to their website. Unless this is only available in BC? Do I need to speak to one of those door to door Shaw guys who also makes themselves available online to get Shaw Phone for 15 dollars a month?

#24 ·
It seems the only thing that Shaw discounts in a bundle is phone service.

The regular (non-introductory) price for the "Shaw Internet 5 + Personal TV Bundle" is the same as the Unbundled price: Personal TV for $43 + Internet 5 for $53 = $96. For another $15 ($111.00 total) you can have phone service added to the bundle.

This is for Alberta and BC. Perhaps other locations differ.

#25 ·
The difference is ?

Thinking of subscribing to Shaw cable.

What is the difference between Popular TV package and personal tv/best of HD?

Looks like with my second option personal tv/ best of hd has 8 more HD channels.

How do I find out the difference. I only watch HD.

Thanks

#28 ·
The $17 Popular TV Package (not the Popular Bundle) is a combination of many elements of the Entertainment 1&2, News, and Time Shift theme packages. Add the $10 Movies Theme Package (AMC, Bravo, FX etc.) and it seems that you would have more choice at a lower cost than with the $35 Best of HD pac, unless you want channels like Golf And SN360.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.