Shaw Cable Channel Discussion Thread - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 171 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Shaw Cable Channel Discussion Thread

This thread will be for rumours, channel deletions and complaining about any channel not offered by Shaw Cable.
Actual confirmed new channel announcements and channel deletions will now have their own thread.
Shaw Cable Official Channel Announcement Thread

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

Last edited by magnet; 2014-12-30 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-04, 04:49 PM

High Definition timeshifting is still incomplete on Shaw Cable. No CBC HD from Ottawa or WTVS (PBS) from Detroit are available in the West. I would have thought Vancouver would get KSTW HD, a CW affiliate, as well, since the standard definition channel has been available in the area forever.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD
post #3 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-04, 05:17 PM

Interesting note there about KSTW in Vancouver. I'm in Windsor with Cogeco and we receive WKBD-DT (CW) and WYMD-DT (MyNetworkTV) here in SD since way back in the pre-digital era, if not earlier. No sign of HD signals ever being added for them. I've requested them but I'd more likely see Turner and Cogeco strike a deal for HD channels.

post #4 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 12:35 PM
Zod

It is wierd. The only CW channel we get is from the East (WGN I think it is). A Western one would be great. Eastern CBC and PBC would be great. Especially for those nights that CBC is airing different hockey games in different regions.
post #5 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

CBC no longer shows different games in different regions.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #6 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-05, 02:45 PM
Veteran

I wonder if the playoff broadcast is the same as the regular season for HNIC.
post #7 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-08, 01:40 PM
Zod

If CBC no longer shows different games in different regions than I withdraw my support for needing Shaw to add a timeshifted CBC channel
post #8 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-08, 01:58 PM
Veteran

Not if. It is true during the regular season. CBC has one game. Sportsnet has another. City has a third different game. FX might have a game also.
post #9 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-23, 09:27 AM

The Movie Network GO (TMN GO) is now available to TMN subscribers in Eastern Canada on Shaw Direct and Shaw Cable.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show....php?p=2402250
post #10 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-30, 10:29 PM
Veteran

Interesting that as of yesterday Shaw Direct is now carrying beIN Sports HD. I wonder why they wouldn't add this to Shaw Cable too? It seems weird that Shaw Direct has HD channels that Shaw Cable doesn't have. You would think that Shaw Cable would want to make their core product the best product. Shaw Cable is missing the following channels that are carried by their Satellite Division

beIN Sports HD
MuchMusic HD
Teletoon HD
Turner Classic Movies HD
NBA TV Canada HD
ABC Spark HD
Disney Junior HD

In fairness Shaw Direct doesn't have these channels

W Movies HD
BNN HD
Animal Planet HD
DTour HD

Shaw use to keep the line-ups pretty uniform. At the very least Shaw Cable should have every English HD specialty channel that Shaw Direct carries.
post #11 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-01-30, 10:59 PM

Disappointed about the removal of Speed Channel - another victim of the lack of good value proposition on specialty bundles - forcing you to consider Best of HD... unless it was no longer in that bundle either! Dropped Best of HD some time ago...
post #12 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGoose View Post
Disappointed about the removal of Speed Channel - another victim of the lack of good value proposition on specialty bundles - forcing you to consider Best of HD... unless it was no longer in that bundle either! Dropped Best of HD some time ago...
Actually not at all surprising.Speed Channel ceased to exist in the United States nearly a year and a half ago (August 2013) and was converted into Fox Sports One, which isn't licensed for Canada. They kept the brand alive outside of the United States with racing events that Fox Sports One and Fox Sports Two were broadcasting and some of their older reality programming, but no original programing. According to a spokesman for Rogers, despite the major reductions in original programming Fox wanted a "significant increase" in carriage fees. Rogers Bell and Cogeco have all dropped the channel at the end of their carriage contracts in 2014, meaning that Shaw and Shaw Direct were the last major cable or satellite providers pretty much anywhere in the world (since the Speed channels in Latin America and Australia were converted to local Fox Sports channels) to carry Speed.

I shall miss Speed, but then again I missed the old Speed Channel, before they became primarily the NASCAR channel and bumped shows that I liked, like Alain de Cadernet's "Legends of Motorsports."
post #13 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-02-03, 01:58 PM

Shaw Cable Channel Discussion Thread

Ah - all good info Brent - not interested in a "NASCAR channel" for sure - enjoyed more general motorsports programming. RIP Speed...

Last edited by SnowGoose; 2015-02-03 at 08:29 PM.
post #14 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-02-06, 04:57 AM

I agree that the dropping of Speed might not be a Shaw issue. But it does suck as Formula E's season won't be over before April 1, so Canadians definitely will not get those races.

I just hope that in return for dropping Speed, Shaw gives its customers something in return. I say it is high time either for the return of AXS or to get NBA TV in HD or since Rogers was such a pita during the MLB Playoffs, perhaps Shaw could offer the MLB Network, so we can actually see the complete playoffs.
post #15 of 171 (permalink) Old 2015-02-06, 04:27 PM

Shaw will never give you channels you actually want. Look how proud they were to offer the weather network and cbc news world in HD, years after the competition. lol

Tags
shaw cable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.