How about All-Digital SHAW? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-11, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idearat
pcouture, thanks. I can certainly see the benefit of 1 and 3 (though I don't have HD yet, so maybe I haven't seen the TRUE benefit ), but only if the digital SDs are like the best I now get, rather than the worst.
The timeshifted channels look like crap because they have to be compressed so much to make room for the analoque channels. If they get rid of the analoque they don't need to compress the digital as much. So in theory the digital channels with less compression will look just as good as the best you see now or dare I say it, maybe even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-11, 07:46 PM

Yes, assuming the compression is actually done at Shaw's end, and that they choose to use the recovered bandwidth to uncompress existing channels rather than just add a bunch of new ones. Though if the new ones were HD most on this forum would no doubt be happy with that tradeoff...
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-12, 03:07 AM

I think the timeshifts look bad because they are all either taken from an analog source or were changed to analog then changed back to digital. This makes them look fuzzy. I would expect a more blocky effect if it was due to over compression. I wonder if they want them to look bad so we will watch the analog locals instead?
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-03-05, 11:01 PM

I hope that the digital conversions comes soon. I just jumped from Bev and bought a 6412. The HD is nice and being able to record 2 shows and watch a recorded one at same time almost makes up the lack of HD channels.

But, holy crap the picture on the analog channels is awful! I think rabbit ears could not look much worse.
Satalite was 100% better than this crap.
The reason I jumped was that the duel tuner HD pvr from Bev does not exist yet and when it comes out I think it will be at least 1500.00.

SHAW, PLEASE fix this crappy analog problem!
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-04-10, 12:29 AM

Smile

Shawguy do you have any information when we will get all digital channel line up in British Columbia?

Last edited by gameshow; 2005-04-16 at 02:18 AM.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-04-10, 02:32 PM

Location: Surrey, Shaw DCX 3400, Samsung UN46D6000, Denon Avr-1905, Paradigm CC-170, Titans, Atoms, PDR 10 v3
Don't hold your breath.

Were still waiting on additional HD and that hasn't happened nor has additional digital channels ie timeshifts. An all digital lineup is probably something they haven't even thought about yet as this is Shaw that we are talking about.

I would love it to happen quick but things just don't happen quick with these guys.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-06-26, 03:20 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose78
As far as I know Shaw is way behind upgrading and don't seem to give a rats ass about their customers anyway. Apparently there was supposed to be an all digital line-up in Vancouver soon but i'm not sure if they got it yet or not.
Some of us have 4 TV's hooked up to cable, with two with digital recievers, it would cost us a fortune to upgrade the rest, and after two new vehicles, and a boat, we really don't have or want to spent 1500 bucks on Digital boxes

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=5][COLOR=teal[/COLOR]]Everyone should get HDTV! It's the best
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-06-26, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayt
I hope that the digital conversions comes soon. I just jumped from Bev and bought a 6412. The HD is nice and being able to record 2 shows and watch a recorded one at same time almost makes up the lack of HD channels.

But, holy crap the picture on the analog channels is awful! I think rabbit ears could not look much worse.
Satalite was 100% better than this crap.
The reason I jumped was that the duel tuner HD pvr from Bev does not exist yet and when it comes out I think it will be at least 1500.00.

SHAW, PLEASE fix this crappy analog problem!
Analog in Fort Frances has almost digital quality picture!

[FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=5][COLOR=teal[/COLOR]]Everyone should get HDTV! It's the best
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-06-26, 08:34 PM

Location: Calgary (NW) 50V500A, Shaw Digital 6412; HD and lovin it!
Shaw has no plans to go all digital, at least not in 05/06.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-06-27, 01:22 AM

quite honestly, I like watching analog channels much more than the digital channels becasue of the PQ, digital channels are just so compressed. And if anything, Shaw would SAVE money switching to all-digital becasue of digital channels use much less bandwidth than the analog channels.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-06-27, 01:47 AM

There was a time that the Analog vs Digital issue didn't bother me. Then I traded in my 27" for a widescreen HDTV (42"). Now I want the analog channels gone. View either through the internal tuner, or my DCT6200, the analog channels show all the interference and look like crap.

Even the most compressed (WSBK, Detroit Timeshifts 131-135 etc) look better than most Analog stations.

Not to mention the bandwith issues of having all those analog stations.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-06-27, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
We had Rogers here for years ... they were even worse than Shaw. I was a Rogers customer for 10 years ... have never experienced a worse company for customer service.
The past does not equal the present. In the 1960s, "Made in Japan" was viewed as cheap and poor quality. Today, some of the most respected brands are Japanese (eg. Sony). As someone who moved from Ontario (Rogers) to BC (Shaw) less than 2 years ago (much more recent than your Rogers to Shaw move), I can testify that Rogers' service is much better than Shaws. And from my experience, Shaw's customer service is worst than Rogers.

Last edited by HiDefFan; 2005-06-27 at 03:29 AM.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-06-02, 03:55 AM

Lightbulb With all digital comes cheaper equipment

Early a member mentioned he couldn't afford to buy 2 other digital boxes considering his new car and boat.
Lucky for you sir, (and all of us ) the addition of an all digital lineup would make the cost of boxes go down. Right now digital boxes are expensive due that to tha analog tuner inside of them. Sat boxes and sktelmax boxes don't have the analog tuner, thus their equipment is super cheap. The only feature I will miss when Shaw goes all digital, is the ability to record one chanel to my dvd recorder, and watch aonther channel atthe same time using hte a/b switch on teh box
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-06-02, 11:01 AM

If you go into the 6412's menu, (power off on dct, then menu on your remote), there are lot's of options to change. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd option down, I think it's called "4:3 overide", you can choose something like "stretch, 480p", etc...try using "480p", at least on my 46" Samsung DLP it stretches the 4:3 anolog and digitals to fit my screen and I think it also upconverts them to 480p, making these particular channels look 10x better. Using the "stretch" option, it does pull the image to fit my screen, but the channels don't look any better, same as the internal TV stretch modes don't make the channels look any better, just makes them fit the screen. So try "480p", and see how that works for you. (if you have a TV that supports that mode of course).

It does nothing of course for HDTV, the 4:3 HDTV channels are still 4:3, and whatever resolution they are broadcasting in remains the same 1080i, etc...which is how it should be.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-06-02, 02:44 PM
Veteran

Warlor, with that setting (480P), I believe you also down-rez your HD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.