How about All-Digital SHAW? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 12:25 PM

I'd be much happier with an All Analog Shaw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Ok. I'll bite. Any particular reason why?
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Victoria, BC (on Shaw TV & Internet, Telus home phone, Bell mobile)
Thanks for that article, very interesting.

The article came out in Nov 2004, so lets assume that Bissonnette was interviewed a month or two prior... say Sept 2004. And he's saying Shaw "is now planning its first step to all-digital, with an eye toward rollout at the end of this year" (2004)?

That seems like a wildly optimistic statement to be making just a few months before the end of the year, when during the same interview he is also saying they haven't made any of the major/critical decisions yet. They don't know what box they'd use (although the choice of the DCT-700 seems obvious); they don't know if they will upgrade the plant to 860Mhz; they don't know if they'd reclaim analog space; and they don't know their cost recovery model (Shaw-owned box or customer-owned box).

That leaves a lot of decisions still hanging out there unmade, and very little time to actually start implementing them before the end of the year. It must be incredibly frustrating for their engineering team, waiting for someone in management to make a friggin' decision so that they can start implementing.

With management planning like that, it goes a long way toward explaining why they constantly and consistently miss their self-set schedules for deployments.

Mike / technut
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Rogers has rebuilt to 860MHZ so why cant SHAW. Digital duplication is the first step towards removing analog altogether. That will take years to implement. It would be very expensive to supply every customer with a box, even a low end box. What if a customer has 10 outlets. That would be a logistical nightmare. It has to be done in a slow organized transitionary way.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 10:28 PM
os

Shaw cannot make any serious investement (860 Mhz) because their focus is how to make as much money as possible not how to spend them. You wouldn't want your shareholders unhappy, would you?
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 10:59 PM

But sometimes you have to spend some to make some, that's what investments are all about. If Shaw is serious about going all digital then they have to upgrade or give every digital boxes and scrap analog completely.
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-01-04, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk
Ok. I'll bite. Any particular reason why?
Don't need silly cable boxes everywhere. Don't have an extra layer of compression artifacts.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-07, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk
I think they'll go all digital over time (when a majority of customers own a STB) or when the technology (as in cheaper more functional STBs) allow most subs to buy one or when Telus/Sask Tel/MTS start eating their lunch.
I wouldn't guess that those services will be pushing Shaw into going all-digital all that quickly.. I tend to prefer the digital channels on Shaw to the analog ones, but even the analog ones look far better than SaskTel Max does. The blurriness and compression artifacts on that service are pretty terrible..
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 04:16 PM

What's the big attraction of an all-digital lineup? Don't mean to bait; I really do wonder.

On my analogue TV the analogue channels are almost all wonderful quality, as are some of the digitals... but others, notably the timeshifts, are horrific due no doubt to over-compression. I'm recording the Amazing Race finale on my dvd-r from 135 tonight because I can get it at 6pm, but last time I tried that I gave up watching half-way through for the lousy quality and recorded it later on 8.

Is it that the analogues look much worse on digital sets? I can't imagine 135 would look much better.

Besides, though I only have one tv I use straight cable in to my dvd-r so I can record one channel and watch another. I'd really hate to have to give that up, or deal with 2 cable boxes in 1 room.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 04:32 PM

Idearat, I guess it depends on your TV. I went from a 27" CRT to a 47" rear projection. On the 27 I had no problem with the analog channels. On the 47 the analog channels look crappy...and even worse when run through the 6208. To be honest I'm not really too impressed with the digital channels on the 47. The HD channels on the other hand look fantastic.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idearat
What's the big attraction of an all-digital lineup? Don't mean to bait; I really do wonder.
1. Look at it this way. On a 6208 PVR, you can record about 50 hours of digital TV whereas you'll fit about half as many hours if your source is analog. An all digital lineup would "expand" the space available to record, or allow me to archive more shows for longer periods of time.

2. On my TV, there is NO QUESTION that digital looks much better than analog.

3. Because of compression (see number 1), it would save large amounts of bandwidth, thus enabling the addition of more services ( i.e. NEW HD CHANNELS).
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 08:47 PM

pcouture, thanks. I can certainly see the benefit of 1 and 3 (though I don't have HD yet, so maybe I haven't seen the TRUE benefit ), but only if the digital SDs are like the best I now get, rather than the worst.

And I'll still miss the direct feed to my dvd-r. I guess a 6412 is one answer, but doesn't sound like the UI is anywhere near as polished as my dvd-r for playback options etc., and a second cable box in the same room is problematic. (I know it's likely they'll duplicate the analogues in digital at first, but until they get rid of them they don't recover any bandwidth.)

I'm not really against all-digital; I know it's the future, and I do see the point. Just hope they do it right, and not replace good analogue channels with lousy overcompressed digitals.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 01:51 PM

I would rather watch some good quality channels then a lot of crappy ones
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 03:54 PM

Update: I was watching the timeshifted Amazing Race I recorded yesterday, and about an hour in I suddenly noticed the ad that was on was beautiful, vibrant, crisp. I paid attention to the PQ after that, and could see none of the macroblocking or other problems I'd seen in the past.

So in short, after all my b*ing yesterday about 135 being so lousy, last night it was just fine. Go figure... maybe a conscientious Shaw employee was reading and fixed my feed??
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 11:47 PM
Premium Supporter

Location: Winnipeg with MTS Ultimate TV, MTS Lightning 25 & VOIP Phone Service.
Apparently Shaw does read these forums as alot of the errors we complain about do just "magically" get fixed.

Shawguy

- User 'K from Canada' on the MTS Community Forums
- User '7825' on the Shaw Community Forums
- I do NOT work for Shaw or have any connections to the company

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.