Shaw Cable new channel discussion 2012 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Shaw Cable new channel discussion 2012

Please use this thread to discuss new channels on Shaw Cable.
You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Cable in 2011 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.
A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.
If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Cable has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.
This thread replaces a similar thread for 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-01, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Quoting etiquette

Please do not quote an entire post. Rather, use only a short excerpt to help put your own message in context.
Additionally, please do not quote the post immediately preceding your own as it makes threads harder to read.
Thanks for your understanding and your co-operation.
post #3 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 10:42 PM
Rookie

Thumbs down Shaw loosing customers due lack of a new channel called "Mediaset Italia"

Yes it is true,and I didn't understand exactly what new channel you are talking about ,but certainly Shaw isn't offering the above channel while Rogers is doing it.
The worse is that Mediaset Italia channel big Boss announced that it will be free for now and to ask our tv provider to add it.
So why Shaw is waiting too much to add this Mediaset Italia????
What we should do to let them know that it is important and they are loosing clients and money????
Yes ,I hired a lot people saying that they will change tv provider if Shaw wouldn't add to the channel list 'Mediaset Italia".
post #4 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 10:54 PM
Veteran

Rogers is the only provider to have Mediaset Italia. Mediaset Italia is owned by Corus which is owned by Shaw and there is an agreement that providers who own channels must add channels from the other providers before they can add one of their own.

There is a ratio. Not sure what the ratio is but using this as an example. Shaw can not add one of their own channels unless they add 6 from other providers and the same goes with those providers with their channels.
post #5 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 08:12 PM
tux

^^^ why?

I don't see any compelling reason why Shaw should add every independent US station to every cable lineup. What exactly would I gain, in terms of content, by getting 2 independent Minneapolis stations? Honestly, Shaw still needs to add certain local Winnipeg HD channels (CBWFT-HD), before adding some distant signal I've never heard of.

As for the cable channels - there's so much duplication of existing content already, I don't see any reason that they should add 3 more muchmusics and more reality shows. If they add a new channel, it should have compelling new content, and it should be offered in HD.
post #6 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-03, 11:11 PM

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One
^^^^^ Tux, totally agree...

I like being retired, it gives me lots of time to make trouble...
post #7 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 08:27 AM
Veteran

Richtv is in the 1970s, early 1980s mindset when carrying a bunch of extra US locals had value.

No cable systems are interested in carrying US locals beyond the 4+1 networks currently carried on basic cable in most areas of the country.

With the major BDUs owning many of the local broadcast stations these days, they are certainly not going to go out of their way to offer more US locals that would compete with their own stations.

Also the majority of the stations Richtv mentions in his various posts are not even on the list of eligible services and likely would never get approved due to interventions by the various Canadian broadcasters.
post #8 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 08:30 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Shaw Cable should add Global Reality Channel, Juicebox, MuchLoud, Much More Retro, MuchVibe, Comedy Gold and TV Land U.
Shaw cable will likely carry the majority of these channels by September 2012 so that they come into compliance with the 3:1 caregory B rule. TVLand US although is on the list of eligible services, there isn't much point of it being carried in Canada as the rights to the majority of the programs on this channel are held by Canadian broadcasters.
post #9 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-04, 10:40 AM

Hollywood Suite

Here is the email I got from a CSR at Shaw:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Stangl;

Thank you for your email.

We have not received any information on the Hollywood Suite Movie channels yet.

We will fill out a request form for you.

Have a nice day.

<removed>
eCare Team
As I thought no word from Shaw on when they are going to add these channels. But they are going to submirt a request for me for what its worth. Hope its sooner rather then later.

Shaw Gateway + 2 Portals, DCT 6412, DCT 3080, Sony 46' LCD, Sony 32' LCD, XBOX360 Slim, PS3 , Nintendo WII

Last edited by hugh; 2012-01-04 at 02:14 PM. Reason: CSR identity removed as per the rules of the forum
post #10 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 04:56 PM

just wondering about something....

animal planet HD is on free preview, but I don't subscribe to the SD version of AP (Channel 134)

According to Shaw, Animal Planet HD. is on channel 251, yet I can't even access this channel. Everytime i press 251, it skips over to 300. Usually if there's an HD channel that I don't subscribe to (movie Central, Superchannel, Oasis) there's just a 'not authorized' or 'subscription service' message.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I'm assuming now that the free HD preview is only for SD subscribers to the channel
post #11 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 05:21 PM

Animal Planet HD

@classy, this may help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw Champ View Post
Hi guys, this is just a reminder regarding Animal Plant HD in Vancouver. It will only be launched in DNU Cutover Areas in Vancouver.
This means that only the following Vancouver Fed areas will be getting Animal Planet HD when it launches tomorrow
  • Richmond
  • Ironwood
  • North Vancouver
  • Squamish
  • Chilliwack
All of the other 4 HD Channels (Space HD, Bravo HD, BNN HD, and Discovery HD) will be launching as planned in all Vancouver Fibre Fed regions.

In all other Fibre Fed regions in BC all 5 Channels (Space HD, Bravo HD, BNN HD, Discovery HD, Animal Planet HD) will be launching as planned whether the area is DNU or Not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw Champ View Post
This is correct, in the Edmonton area only Terwilligar, St Albert and Nisku can get it right now.
post #12 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 07:16 PM

So I guess my area is not fibre fed.
post #13 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 07:31 PM

^^ Or it could be the Digital Network Upgrade (DNU) isn't complete in your area.
post #14 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-05, 09:54 PM

Like I've posted in previous Shaw threads, here is my Wish List (for Vancouver & Area)
bpm:tv, Global Reality, Comedy Gold, Juicebox (formerly PunchMuch), MuchMoreRetro, MuchLoud, and MuchVibe.

Also, as noted in the past, (I don't speak French) but North Vancouver gets MeteoMedia, Canal Vie, Super Ecran 1-4, MusiMax, and Musique Plus, but not Vancouver or other cities

--Castle
post #15 of 646 (permalink) Old 2012-01-07, 04:08 PM

Any news on FX?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.