Just to be totally clear on my opinion here.
Scrap SPP altogether, go back to the drawing board and do the following (all the below should be allowed to be done online without ever picking up a phone)
1) allow me to view my existing subscribed channels in my account online
1a) eventually allow this to be pushed out to the gateway to allow automatic hiding of unsubscribed channels, though I'd accept just having the list so I can do it manually myself initially
2) show all existing packages applied to the account (names, codes etc)
3) indicate which packages (if any) are grandfathered and once removed cannot be re-added
4) allow me to add additional channels
5) allow me to add additional bundles
6) allow me to change my existing bundles and add additional bundles and channels
7) MOST IMPORTANT, after each change above, there should be a live listing showing channels I get and don't get, as a change is made, it should clearly update the live listing, ie green for subscribed, red for not subscribed.
If you can provide the above you'll literally obliterate the competition where self service is concerned. This also affects your bottom line, less need for CSR's spending long times on the phone working with a system that patently needs some serious overhauling. Secondly once people have clear information, they can make decisions faster and start ordering faster and easier, so more money to Shaw and sooner. The above is something my elderly parents could easily work with. When speaking with my StepFather last week, he indicated he's had enough of Shaw and doesn't even want to speak to them anymore, he'd rather live with any problems than try to talk to someone. That also directly affects Shaw's bottom line, people talk to each other, they'll be saying bad things, or worse yet, nothing at all. Relationships sell products and services and currently the relationship Shaw has with many of it's customers, to put it politely sucks. DH is a great site, but few of the majority will ever make it over here. It's up to you Shaw to fix this monster you've created.
Notwithstanding the above, I am more than happy to volunteer to alpha/beta test such a system and give copious amounts of feedback. Heck I'd be happy to regularly meet in person at focus group style events if that was needed.
Let's just get this thing fixed so we can all go back to enjoying our tv viewing