Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable analogue to digital migration

200K views 490 replies 123 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
I received a notice from my apartment building, who bundles basic cable into my rent, and was told that Shaw needs to install digital boxes to remain receiving basic cable. Makes no difference to me since I already have a HD PVR, an HD box (awaiting a new TV to hook it up to as it is a rental) and a SD box. But here in Lloydminster are they phasing out analog cable altogether or did my apartment building make this decision?

If so, does this mean that Lloydminster will finally receive all the channels Shaw offers elsewhere such as Canadian Timeshifting and Superchannel? I would assume this would be a solution to the finite capacity issue as I understand that digital has a higher capacity (possibly infinite like IPTV) and could carry all of these channels without a capacity issue.

#462 ·
Seems I am a bit late to the proceedings.
I plugged in the COAX from the wall to the COAX-in on my TV.
These three previous channels appeared, with color bars only.
This is in Vancouver. It seems analog delivery is long gone now.

3 - CBC Vancouver
14 - The CW Seattle (KSTW)
16 - NBC Seattle (KING)

#466 ·
Didn't shaw give out free digital boxes when they removed the 3 tiers from analog (for free?). I have a number of complaints about shaw but I always felt the removal of analog was a technical issue. Analog TV uses up a lot of valuable frequencies. For every analog channel they could make room for 2 or 3 HD channels, or large chunk of additional bandwidth for their internet services. It's not like shaw ditched analog and didn't give their customers a way to keep watching their packages.

#471 ·
Well, Dave, that is true for one of my accounts but they actually called it a digital terminal promotion. It is a different account that has no bundled channels, just tier 1 and tier 2 and two selected channels. On this account we have been charged $3.95 a month for the last three years. For this account there is no digital terminal promotion to compensate for that charge.

#473 ·
Hi Bubba, the DCT 700 is a $3.95 rental, whilst it is true that for areas going through DNU there is a current cable box offer this might not of been the case 3 years back for the area you are in. If you want I'd be more than happy to take a look and help out. Just send me a PM if you want. Thanks :)

#474 ·
The difficultly is that in our other account we had a correction to reduce it to zero. Why was this not the case with the account in question? We never agreed to only a one year not being charged. The whole point here is that bandwidth was eliminated and we were offered a free D700 so that we could continue recording on our SD devices.

#482 ·
@cslusarc I'm not sure if all areas of Winnipeg are going all-digital. If your building is affected, you should see a crawl at least once an hour on analog channels.

Shaw has various agreements with building owners. It's possible the pricing agreement will continue. Some agreements include one digital box per suite which allows you to order VOD and additional channels. Your condo board should be able to answer your questions in your specific case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.