Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable analogue to digital migration

200K views 490 replies 123 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
I received a notice from my apartment building, who bundles basic cable into my rent, and was told that Shaw needs to install digital boxes to remain receiving basic cable. Makes no difference to me since I already have a HD PVR, an HD box (awaiting a new TV to hook it up to as it is a rental) and a SD box. But here in Lloydminster are they phasing out analog cable altogether or did my apartment building make this decision?

If so, does this mean that Lloydminster will finally receive all the channels Shaw offers elsewhere such as Canadian Timeshifting and Superchannel? I would assume this would be a solution to the finite capacity issue as I understand that digital has a higher capacity (possibly infinite like IPTV) and could carry all of these channels without a capacity issue.

#357 ·
TheShay

I am in Kelowna, BC and around Christmas we started getting MC2 HD and MC3 HD but we are still getting Tiers 1,2 and 3 in analog so I am assuming we don't have the DNU yet.

Can someone clarify this.

#365 ·
I was wondering the same thing. MC2HD and MC3HD finally became operational on Feb.12 in my area of Burnaby and so far the movie list has not been very impressive. With all the hype we've been getting since March of last year about "exciting new channels coming soon to your area when Shaw switches over to digital", I keep thinking where the heck are they?

#366 ·
At least you've been upgraded, still no sign of action in my part of south west Calgary.

If you run "exciting new channels coming soon to your area" through the Shaw family Babelfish I suspect the translation would be "more ways to maintain Brad Shaw's position as the 4th highest paid CEO in Canada."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.