Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc

479K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  faston 
#1 ·
Our Shaw Customer Service - Good and Bad - Post Comments Here thread has gotten out of hand. Very little Good, lots of rants that are off-topic so a new thread has been created to allow folks to rant about Shaw.

Now, c'mon get it off your chest.

If you have a problem with Shaw, then lets hear about it.

#2 ·
From our rules
Annoying posts & Trolling – Annoying posts such as those consisting of all uppercase letters or containing an excessive number or smilies, icons, oversized fonts, excessive quoting will be subject to deletion without warning.
I have deleted several posts. This is a rant thread but that is no excuse for use of oversized fonts or other juvenile behaviour and posts.

In future, such behaviour will be considered trolling and infractions issued.

#3 ·
We're moving on Thursday and were having our new HD PVR delivered today...I was told I couldn't make an appointment for our new place until our new PVR was delivered because each account can only have 1 work order at a time.

So I get my new unit and call today only to find out there's a month wait to get a technician out to White Rock, and to make it worse I need to take a half-day off.

Definitely not impressed.

#5 ·
That's weird. I had the same problem a month or two ago and they booked an appointment right away. They also said if I wanted to do it myself I could go to their office and pick up a new splitter myself. I did that and it fixed the problem so I cancelled the appointment.

#12 ·
Novus has marketed the Shaw offer and encouraged people to call in. They've done this for two reasons: 1) they believe Shaw will lose money on the transaction and will tire of offering loss leaders to Novus customers; and 2) they know that customers who are ineligible for Shaw's offer will call and be disappointed.

Novus has been quite public about doing this. However, the tactics they originally employed were all electronic. I have not heard of them doing paper flyers as well, but if it's absent Shaw logos, it does fit what Novus is doing on other fronts. If the flyer has a Shaw logo, one can assume it came from Shaw because I am not sure that it wouldn't land someone in a nice little legal mess if they were misusing Shaw's logo in this fashion.

#13 ·
I was bitter about Shaw charging $200 more for my PVR than other cable providers (mostly in the east) like Cogego or Rogers, but I got a refurb and have been happy.

Honestly, I have been a Shaw customer for 15 years and find their service to be great...while the channel selection is not the best in the industry, they do fine by me.

Oh, and I have friends that had Telus TV, work for Telus and switched to Bell because of quality, selection and lack of bandwidth to support multiple PVR units.

#14 ·
They don't care if you leave

Shaw is not into customer service or customer satisfaction. They changed their hours to close at 8 PM.

Many friends and collegues are able to get HDTV and digital cable channels for 6 months or more without additional charge even though we have the same service.

Shaw's refer a friend program is a farce. In my case, I referred my sister. Just like I referred her for the internet many years ago. When SHE called them, she gave them my info. When I called Shaw about the referral, they looked up her account and gave me the referral.

However, this time, they voided the referral because she ordered Shaw Digital phone herself and was not approached by a Shaw telemarketing rep.

When I called Shaw to explain my frustration with them, they asked me if I wanted to cancel. I said, I am seriously thinking about it and going with Telus. The rep then went and said, "it'll take a moment and I'll cancel your digital service right away and next week, we'll send a tech over to disconnect your service". I then replied, "wait a minute, not just yet. I'm going to check with the wife and call you back".

#15 ·
Customer service is 24/7/365.

If you are talking about office hours, please tell me where the demand is that people are paying there bills in a office at midnight enough to warrant the expenses of keeping a office open.

If you are talking about house calls, I highly doubt there is a massive demand for this. How many other companies make house calls 24/7? The gas company is all I can think of, and that's only for life and death emergencies.

Get real.

#17 ·
Newb777,

I agreed with you on your 'What do you pay for Shaw' services thread but here I must disagree with you. I thought Trainwalker answered the customer service part of your rant.

I have always had good service from Shaw - I rank them higher than any other consumer service company I deal with. I also appreciate the fact Shaw employees can post here and identify themselves as employees.

#18 ·
I know the sales line closes at 8PM but the trouble/repair lines are open 24 hours a day. Was it the sales line that you were talking about closing at 8PM? Most customers call during working hours for sales or soon after getting home which is why there is no need to keep the sales lines open later than roughly 8PM.

#19 ·
Have basement suite

We bought our house a year ago. It has a basement suite. We had our daughter move into the basement and we had Shaw split the cable so she would have her own bill to pay. In June she moved out so we turned the basement suite into a media room. Purchased $8,500 worth of media equipment and had a shaw cable tech come in and hook up 4 outlets in the house as we get 4 free outlets with our service. 2 outlets in the basement suite and 2 upstairs. I explained to the tech at the time that the girls were moving out (our daughter and her roommate) within 2 weeks and that we were not renting the suite. They were welcome to come by from time to time to check and make sure were weren't renting. He said fine. On Thurs morning my husband was watching the big TV downstairs and all of a sudden the cable went out. I had seen a Shaw van in the area. I called Shaw the next day as we could not get it working again and they said from time to time they "audit" and then disconnect cable in suites. They do this as many people with suites are getting free cable for their renters. I explained to her what I had explained to the tech and she kept saying "you have to understand that there are many people with suites and renters not paying for their cable". Nothing I said would convince her we were not stealing the cable. She said she could have another tech come out next week but she could not guarantee another would not come along and disconnect the cable. Our Shaw connection is on the outside of the house. Is it possible to move it inside? I am quite angry that their techs have the right to come on our property and disconnect our cable without even asking us first. We were home at the time. Another option I have is to reconnect our star choice but we live in a very nice area and I don't want the dish hanging off the side of the house. I also don't know if our house is "wired" to have a dish.

I hope someone has some good suggestions. On Monday morning I am going to call the suites department at Shaw. I did talk to a second CSR at Shaw on Friday and she apologized a lot and told me to call the suites department. The first lady was not helpful at all. Basically accused me of stealing cable. I had asked the first CSR to have a supervisor call me. She said she would and I am still waiting for that call.

Thanks!

#20 ·
You see that all stems from being honest, and making your daughter pay extra for cable? :)

Had you never told them that part, the daughter would of had free cable, shaw wouldn't of rewired the house, and it probably wouldn't of gone on their list as being a suite.

Not that its honest to splice cable, but why not consider the daughters rent room and board, but part of the family, and let her use the family cable.

might my pseudo-ethical, but it seems odd to go out of ones way to make someone pay extra for their own cable.. especially family.

Now it seems they've classified it as a suite, which might be hard to unclassify. As far as I recall you can't move those boxes inside the house, as shaw needs access to them.

#23 ·
It's coming, but don't get your hopes up. The plan is to broadcast a stretched version of the BasketWeaving SD channel, so you'll have a hard time matching the design you see on TV with the ones you make right there in your living room.

#25 ·
Bsmt Suite Cable Arbitrarily disconnected

Zod....hey, I was not there when they separated the cable. That was my husband's doing. The installer at the time even told him not to worry about it but he did it anyway. Now I have to "undo" it all. I am waiting for 8:30 to call the suites department at Shaw. What a hassle. I can see why people steal cable. You may as well. Even if you're not, they accuse you of it anyway. I would have given our daughter the free cable but not a legitimate renter. Let's hope we can undo this mess. I miss the big screen!

#26 ·
Billing

So I get my Shaw bill and it's gone up $32. When I got the STB they gave free movie channels for a promo period. Looks like after the promo period they just assume you want them and start billing you. If you don't want them, you need to contact Shaw and get them off, thought this practice was illegal in Canada?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.